What's new

Tech [2014] - Smallest folding tire for limping home

JackTheCommuter

Maximum Pace
Apr 3, 2012
(year 2014 edition) Any recommendations for a light weight, folding, limp home tire?

After dialing in a bit too much ADVENTURE for the ride this weekend and getting two riders in my group sidewall punctures, with no one carrying a spare tire, we had to resort to ad-hoc boots to limp home. We're ordering those Park Tools boots but in addition felt a spare tire to replace in case of a really bad cut.

The Park Tool boots are actually pretty big and sturdy. I used one (well, two layers of one) on a 1-cm gash in a 23-mm tyre, it not only got me home but was good for a number of rides after that. Wait until you get hold of one and see what you think.

Sorry to hear about the tires... I think the cheapo tires are heavier and don't fold that well. Having lighter, but more expensive tire as spare (like the Michelins that come rolled up in ball) might be better, but your risking cutting new tire. Another option from an old MTB tip would be to carry a piece of old tire (say 6-9cm section) and use as emergency casing.

I think a good choice here is the Panaracer Closer. They are cheap, fold very flat (full aramid bead) and light (about 200gr). The Vittorias also fall into this category except higher priced and a bit higher performance. They are easy to get on most rims without any tools, too. Something I'd counter with the Conti's and Vittoria which tend to be tighter fits. I get slagged sometimes for carrying a spare tubular - but funny thing is that I've had to use it on more clincher fails than my own! In a pinch a tubular will fit into a clincher rim and let you ride home.

It turned out I had a sidewall cut I didn't spot and rode off to work with it. Three, then mystery, puncs and repairs later, I finally noticed the very small bit of tube pushing out. (I'm slow in other ways it seems!).

A buddy gave me a Park Tool boot to use. Installed easily, the adhesive keeping the boot in place while the clincher and tube was mounted. After 35km of use, seems be doing its job well. The cut is still visible, very slight bulge, no tube sticking out. The give of the tire where the boot is affixed is different but not noticeable while riding.

I am going to keep using this damaged tire while the boot holds and until it's worn out...

One thing about the tire boot is that over time, the edges cut into your inner tube. Only a serious problem if you're using weight weenie inner tubes though, otherwise it probably won't cause a puncture.

Also, cutting the tire boot to size can help to reduce the added weight and unevenness in the tyre when riding.

Only a serious problem if you're using weight weenie inner tubes though

Thanks for the heads up. I am using a light weight tube. Will swap out to a more pedestrian inner tube to salvage some more use out of the tire.

You are just asking for trouble/flats. If you ride with groups, do everyone a favor and replace the tire. If you ride alone, do as you please.

Sorry to be an ass, but it kills me when people show up to group rides with their bikes pre-f#cked up. Occasional flats are a fact of life, but your bike should be as ready as possible to finish said ride without issue.

....now, that said, you can save yourself flat fixing time, but occasionally cleaning your tires. That means wiping them down with a damp cloth and visually inspecting them for damage or inbedded debris. Most non-pinch road flats are caused by debris slowly working through the cases (multiple rides) and finally puncturing the tube. Weekly inspection can greatly reduce the amount of flats one gets. Of course this won't help with a cut sidewall.

you can save yourself flat fixing time by occasionally cleaning your tires. That means wiping them down with a damp cloth and visually inspecting them for damage or embedded debris.
Yes - I do this and quite often pick out bits of unpleasantness that were waiting to cause me trouble.

Concerning small nicks in the tyre left behind after removing embedded bits and pieces, seems like a good idea to fill them in with a tiny but of rubberised or flexible glue. Anyone got a recommendation?

Sorry to be an ass, but it kills me when people show up to group rides with their bikes pre-f#cked up. Occasional flats are a fact of life, but your bike should be as ready as possible to finish said ride without issue.

Agreed. And I am guilty of failing to do a pre-ride check before taking off for work. In my defense, the cut was very small as was the tube hernia. With the commute, these tires are likely to be retired in a few weeks anyways.

Concerning small nicks in the tyre left behind after removing embedded bits and pieces, seems like a good idea to fill them in with a tiny but of rubberised or flexible glue. Anyone got a recommendation?

Shoe Goo found at shoe stores.

You are just asking for trouble/flats. If you ride with groups, do everyone a favor and replace the tire. If you ride alone, do as you please.

This! so much this! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@JackTheCommuter - I have a set of tires that Ronan was using on my old Scott. Maybe have 700km on them. You are welcome to them for the price of "a beer" at the establishment of my choosing..............

Back
Top Bottom