What's new

2013 Ekiden ride - Jan. 2nd (Wed.)

Yair

Maximum Pace
Nov 10, 2009
Is anyone thinking of doing this traditional ride this year?

Last year's thread: https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=3218&page=4

Full course (ignore the part before Otemachi< which is the start point):
http://classic.mapmyride.com/route/j...29369901169671

GPS route (TCX file): http://ridewithgps.com/routes/871314.tcx

Meetings points in previous years were:

1) First meeting point - Otemachi (Subway C14 exit)- departing 07:20am

2) Second meeting point - Keikyu Kamata station (MiniStop convinience - crossing of Kampachi-dori and Daiichi Keihin) - passing around 08:00am ~ 08:10am - only stopping for 2~3 minutes

3) Third meeting point - Yokohama Hamamatsucho intersection (route 16 on route 1, Sankus convinience 400m before the intersection) - passing around 08:50am ~ 09:00am - only stopping for 2~3 minutes

Take a brief stop at the am pm convenience store before the Fujisawa Bypass.

Leave 7-11 convenience store right before the turn in front of the Odawara Shimin Kaika - leave by 11:15am

Having said the above, I (we) will still need someone who is actually familiar with the route to start in Otemachi, as I have only rode it once in the past, and do not wish to lead all the rest in the wrong direction...:confused:

Yair,
thank you for organise it
on it.
from 3rd meeting point of Yokohama.

None of the links go to a map for me, can someone post a link to a map?

Cheers

Very tempted - will start from Yokohama also. (if I do ride it)

if you start in Tokyo there is a lot of stop-go-stop due to the huge amount of traffic lights on Route 1 - infact its like that all the way to Fujidsawa.

I did this last year and had fun despite being pretty sick and riding past the regroup at ashinoko. I'll plan to join from Yokohama. for those who haven't done it, the tokyo->yokohama portion of the route isn't particularly scenic or fun, especially with all the lights.

Not liking this cold weather, but might be in better shape than last year, so it should be a no-brainer, right?

I plan to do some or all of this, though I am not sure I will make the TCC meeting points. At least hope to see some of you somewhere along the route.

The weather forecast looks like typical Kanto January 2nd -- dry, cool (but above freezing) with at least some sun.

Best, David L.

Is anyone starting in Otemachi or is it all starting in Yokohama?

I plan to start from Otemachi, and as far as I know there are ~3 people joining at the Yokohama meeting point. Let me know if you plan to join in Otemachi so I'll wait for you.

I will start at otemachi and probably go until odawara. I still have a wire holding my shoulder together so I don't want to stress it too much by climbing up Hakone.

Reflectors

I'll be there at the start at Otemachi.

Since this will be the first time I will have ridden my bike in Japan and the Ekiden route is likely to be heavily policed, is it necessary for me to put reflectors or anything else on my road bike for the ride on 2 January, or am I likely to get away without doing so?

the group starting at otemachi should set a clear meeting point, probably a little down the road from the official start. the area around the official start will be very crowded and it might be hard to find each other. I think the folks who started at otemachi last year didn't meet up until part way to Yokohama.

I'll be at the Yokohama meeting point at around 8:30.

Back
Top Bottom