What's new

Half Fast 2012 Shine On! Cycle Challenge in Norikura

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
cyclechallengeheader201.gif

I'm happy to announce a very special grass-roots cycling event: the 4th Shine On! Cycle Challenge in Norikura.

Dates are Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th July, 2012.

This annual event centers around a 20 km ride up a big mountain, to the highest road in Japan passable on a road bike - Norikura on the border of Nagano and Gifu prefectures. More importantly, it's a charity event through which we raise money for The Tyler Foundation, supporting children with cancer and their families here in Japan. We will organize a fun weekend trip, traveling by train and bus to get to the wonderful and friendly NorthStar lodge.

If you think you're allergic to climbing hills on your bike, this is a great opportunity to get fitter and make a personal challenge in order to simultaneously help the very important work of The Tyler Foundation. We will organize some half-fast mountain practice rides in the weeks to come, so there will be plenty of opportunities to get out and get fitter. I won't pretend that climbing mountains is easy - it's supposed to be a challenge! But you might be surprised what you can do.

There will be three cycling groups:

A: The 'advanced' group who ride about 140 km from Chino through three mountain ranges to Northstar on Saturday, and then 70+ km up and over Norikura and around the mountain on Sunday.

I: The 'intermediate' group who ride about 100 km from Shiojiri through the mountains to NorthStar on Saturday, and then 70+ km up and over Norikura and some other hills on Sunday.

C: The 'challenge' group who have a practice ride on Saturday, and then ride 20 km up and 20 km down Norikura on the Sunday.​

It is definitely NOT a race. Here are some photos from last year's event.

The cost for the trip is 15,000 yen. This includes:

Return bus travel from Matsumoto to NorthStar if necessary
Overnight stay at NorthStar, with yummy meals
Accident insurance
Donation to The Tyler Foundation
Souvenir T-shirt (maybe)​

Train fare to and from Matsumoto is not included. You are responsible for getting yourself from home to the starting station (Chino, Shiojiri or Matsumoto). Tickets can be found at discount shops for approx. 9,000 yen return. If you have a car, you can drive to NorthStar if you wish, although the roads can get crowded.

Please, let me know by e-mail by Friday 8 June if you want to go. Maximum number of participants and supporters is 40.

If you have questions please ask or call.

--Mike--

Mike Sims-Williams
Deputy Benevolent Dictator
Half Fast Cycling, Tokyo
http://halffastcycling.com/
Mobile o8o-34o3-o239

Back
Top Bottom