What's new

2011 Winter Bargains

ikedawilliams

Speeding Up
Oct 15, 2010
If this year is anything like last year, the on-line deals will bet better and better until year end. Because there often random time sales, and all of us have our own favorite sites that we check for deals, I thought it would be nice to have a thread showing where the best deals can be had.

I would like to see how cheap I can get a pair of Campy Zonda wheels and Athena groupset in the next few weeks. I suspect others have their eye on similar items. At the moment, the best deal I have found for Athena is here: http://page4.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/d122480441. With my platinum Wiggle discount, I can get the wheels for ¥36,630, delivered http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-zonda-clincher-road-bike-wheelset/.

Not asking anyone to do research for me, but if you happen to notice your favorite site has a good time sale, or combination of sales, I would be very interested in finding out about it.

Wiggle has a 20% discount on all in stock items to Japan.
Use code JA20

20-OFF works too!

Thanks. Been doing a little more digging and Ribble seems to have 20% off as well, and better prices meaning I could get the wheels for about 29,000 and the groupset for an amazing 57,000 yen. Thinking about being in the house all day due to the rain, and such good deals is a dangerous combination.

I doing the same thing. I have a fair amount of demo, prototype, misc stuff that I want to clear out before next year. I'll post it up on classifieds , but mainly some loose sets of wheels, cages, bars and frames. Plus we have access to excess inventory at the factory, too, which are a lot of frame sets at great prices. Most are from opened brand molds (ridley, olmo, etc) so, it's a great time to pickup that 2nd or 3rd winter bike project.

I got the bargain of the century for you right here:

img1562j.jpg

She is sat in the new Cyclingtime.com store in Akihabara, looks like someone messed up and ordered the wrong sizes as its a 56cm (57cm actual top tube) frame and a rock bottom 57,000 JPY, which by the way thats less than FACTORY PRICE!

The RRP is 249,000 JPY so if you have the cash and willing to take the risk you could purchase then sell online for 120,000 and make a nice tidy profit!

Competitive Cyclist has a good "12 days of Christmas offer". They don`t have the cheapest shipping rates though...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/12days?utm_source=website&utm_medium=HeaderBanner&utm_campaign=12Days
"Beginning November 28, we'll feature select products at 40-75% off for just 24 hours each. Each sale will begin at Noon CST, and conclude when we sell out, or at Noon the next day, whichever arrives first. Every day will bring a new sale — each business day from November 28 through December 13"

That Magnus looks pretty sweet. I came across an article saying the frame set is set at 1,500GBP, but still, a bargain at 57,000 yen and would likely be the right size for me.

After sorting out my priorities, what is of most importance with a new frame/fork is something that is bullet proof, and am willing to give titanium a try. That belongs in another thread I started I guess, though.

As for bargains, I noticed that Wiggle has 15% the basket price, just for Monday. The 20% off mentioned above is still in effect, but I can not combine it with my 12% platinum discount. I can 27% off, already great prices in the next few hours, but am tempted to hold out and see what else comes along before year end...

One more - if anyone wants a wheel cover (turns your wheel into a disc with practically the same aero benefits) - wheelbuilder have a sale on until the 10th ($70 instead of $90). Keep meaning to pick one up for the powertap. But...you need to check your wheel is compatible - a lot aren`t esp. Shimano factory wheels. Most non-compatible wheels are listed on the website, and you can always email them to check. They quoted me around $70 for shipping to Japan.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/aero-disc-covers.html

As for bargains, I noticed that Wiggle has 15% the basket price, just for Monday. The 20% off mentioned above is still in effect, but I can not combine it with my 12% platinum discount. I can 27% off, already great prices in the next few hours, but am tempted to hold out and see what else comes along before year end...

Yes, Wiggle seem to be getting like London buses, no need to bother if you miss an offer, as there will be another along any minute.

One more - if anyone wants a wheel cover (turns your wheel into a disc with practically the same aero benefits) - wheelbuilder have a sale on until the 10th ($70 instead of $90). Keep meaning to pick one up for the powertap. But...you need to check your wheel is compatible - a lot aren`t esp. Shimano factory wheels. Most non-compatible wheels are listed on the website, and you can always email them to check. They quoted me around $70 for shipping to Japan.

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/aero-disc-covers.html

I had one of these about 16 years ago, great fun however you aren't allowed to use them for competition :(

great fun however you aren't allowed to use them for competition

James, I guess you are talking about UCI competition? I'm hoping to do the individual TTs at Chokai and Uchinada next year, and these covers look like a good idea...

Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

James, I guess you are talking about UCI competition? I'm hoping to do the individual TTs at Chokai and Uchinada next year, and these covers look like a good idea...

Andy

Andy, as far as I`m aware, they should be fine unless like you say it is under UCI regs. A lot of triathletes use them in races, but they are not currently under UCI regs. So, if a standard disc wheel is allowed, then I see no reason why a wheel cover shouldn`t be...and let`s face it, are they really going to examine the wheel closely enough to tell?

If you have a compatible rear wheel, then like I said, same benefits as a disc wheel but at a fraction of the price, just a few grams heavier. Some of the HED discs are just the standard wheel with a bonded on carbon fairing. If you search `slowtwitch` you will find numerous threads on them.

All you need next, is to tape over the vents on your helmet, and you have an aero helmet as well!

Andy

If the races are not part of the JCF or JBCF then you'll be fine. However I would check the organisers rules and regulations just to be sure. You don't want to win it only to have some disgruntled 2nd place to comment that the wheel cover is against regulations.

Just a quick note on Christmas specials.

I have quite a bit of stuff I'm selling at special price for TCC / Friends and Family only. I'll post in the classifieds.

Ordered my wheelcover Friday. Despatched same day and has already cleared Japanese customs. Hayai desu ne!!!

Andy,

Sure will do, but might take a while, as with new arrival, time to actually properly test (same routes, same conditions, same watts, with/without wheelcover) is limited.

Actually, it arrived Monday lunchtime: that`s less than 72 hours from when I placed the order from the states. Was in the LBS tonight asking about turbos (as shipping cost might prove too high for the one I want - Kurt Kinetic Road Machine - and the ones they can supply will take 2 weeks from Osaka!!!)

I'm sure you're busy!

The most important thing is do they look cool? and do they make a whooshing sound?:)

Kurt Kinetic Road Machine sounds like a great name for a band!

Regardless of features on a trainer, the most important thing is a good training plan, good tunes, good motivation and... cold beer in the fridge.

Andy

It looks cool, as I went for the white one. You can then add any design you want on to it. And as for the whoosh, I can always add that myself ;)

image.php

Kurt Kinetic actually do a machine called `Rock `n` Roll` that lets you mimic out of the saddle riding (it rocks from side to side). I would go with a cold Pepsi...

Back
Top Bottom