BRM214千葉200km(南房総)  スポーツエントリー申込を締め切りました
BRM313千葉200km(犬吠埼)  スポーツエントリー申込を締め切りました
BRM313千葉300km(銚子)  スポーツエントリー申込を締め切りました
BRM410千葉300km(つくば)  スポーツエントリー申込を締め切りました
BRM515千葉400km(南房総)
BRM612千葉600km(茂木)
BRM710千葉400km(ぐるっと房総)
BRM904千葉600km(喜多方)

As the list shows, the 200km and 300km are already filled; might be because they are all new routes this year. Signed up for the Tsukuba 300km, which heads north via Tsukuba to Motegi, east to Hitachinaka, and south on Rt 50 that runs between the two lakes north of Choshi--areas I've wanted to explore for some time but haven't had the chance.

Anyone else signed up for these?

Jun 6, 2007
fa
The Year of Riding Long

I'm entered for another SR series of 200-300-400-600 in Chiba, as well as a
couple of brevets with AJ Utsunomiya. Tochigi is beautiful, and the rides tend
to be more difficult than those in Chiba (up, up and away, at least later in the
year when the snow melts); the starting points are also fairly easy to get to
from Tokyo via train. You should check them out.

These are just the warm-up for mid May through June, when I'll go to Portland
and Seattle for a 600, 1000, and 1200. Back to Hokkaido in July for a 1200.
Then the Audax Chubu 1000 from Ichinomiya to around the Noto hanto and
back in October.

That's the plan anyway.

David

Phil

Maximum Pace
Strewth, David, you're going to beat my total annual mileage just with your official brevets. If I'm reading you right, you're going to do 600-1000-1200-1200-1000, in a six-month stretch...hardcore! :eek:

Thanks for the heads-up about AJ Utsunomiya. Had a look at their site and some of those start points are very do-able by car from here.

Also, Hokkaido 1200km noted. Had thought vaguely that I'd like to do a 1200km some day, but PBP just requires too much...organization. Nice to know there's one available in my own back yard, so to speak.

First though, I'd better complete a 300km, eh? :warau:

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Nice list!

Thanks for these, Phil.
I just had a look, and the Motegi 600km (June 12th) caught my eye!

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Fmembers3.jcom.home.ne.jp%2Faj-chiba%2FAJ-Chiba%2F612-600_files%2FBRM613map.jpg&hash=3db9d0a87923f05e8dae44c3b534e164

I recently bought a new "Selle Italia" saddle that's much kinder to my hiney, so I should be good to go.
Anyone else interested?
Travis

Phil

Maximum Pace
That does look like a fun route. It more or less combines the Tsukuba 300km with the 300km Boso routes from last year.

Am pretty sure that 300km is going to be my longest ride this year, but if the back is not complaining too much come April 11th, I might actually consider this. At the least it might be fun to ride out and hook up with you for part of the way, assuming you do decide to do it...

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Motegi 6/12

Apparently, entry for the Motegi 600km brevet closes tomorrow.
I have just entered! With any luck, I'll be able to finish within 24 hours (That's always the goal).
That's at an average of 25km/h. Certainly do-able, but I don't know how often I'll want to stop for refreshments, etc.
Anyway, I'm in!:bike:
Travis

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
24?

Good luck Travis. Will be back in Chiba by then so might try to meet up with you for part of the run, depending on times. etc. Looks like a great route, I really regret having to miss the 300km in April.
Thanks Phil. It’ll be great to see you again as well! BTW, how is your shoulder? Are you able to ride already?

Ideally, it would be great if I could recruit 6 of you guys (Thomas? Deej? Alan? Sergey? Any takers?...) to memorize the course for 100km sections at a time, and have you ride in front of me for that distance before changing to the next rider.
Of course, I can imagine how that conversation would go; “So aahhh, Thomas… I was wondering if you could meet me out on that beach road on the far side of Chiba…. Oohhh, maybe around 3am. I’m not sure yet. It may be 2 hours either side of that time, so if you could get there around 1:00-ish and wait for me to ride through… Yeah, yeah! After that we’ll be heading west into the rolling hills in the middle…. Uhmm, probably a little bit dark… You’ve got the map, right? Cheers for that! I’ll see you then, eh!... Sure! I’m just going to call Alan now, and see if he can wait for us at Tateyama around 5:00….”

Memorizing the route will actually be the hardest part. They have a cue-sheet of every turn for the the entire course: http://members3.jcom.home.ne.jp/aj-chiba/AJ-Chiba/612-600_files/10-BRM812-600-CUE-v2.xls . The only thing I can do to get a good feel for it is to actually ‘draw’ the map on “mapmyrun”, and try to remember it that way (even that takes ages though). The first half looks something like this:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/-chiba/870127515903520086

With any luck, I'll be able to finish within 24 hours (That's always the goal).
I checked the results for last year, and out of the 100 or so entrants, only five of them made it back within 30 hours (one of them, a foreigner named “David Thompson” – The name sounds familiar, but I’m not sure where from). Anyway, all riders have up to 40 hours to complete ride, so maybe my “24 hour” goal is a little ambitious.

Two weeks to go!
Travis

kpykc

Speeding Up
Jun 13, 2007
Tokyo
Travis, your rides are getting longer and longer every time - just how far do you plan to take it? :)
Good luck with this one! Will be looking forward to read how it went :bike:

Phil

Maximum Pace
Thanks Phil. It’ll be great to see you again as well! BTW, how is your shoulder? Are you able to ride already?
Slooowly getting better, thanks, though still a bit to go. Was riding a bit before my trip to Canada, but haven't been more than 50kms in months.

Re: the cue sheets, they are very complicated in Japan (unlike, say, brevets in the Canadian prairies, which essentially list four right turns at 150km intervals :)). Knowing parts of the route does help. Some people use GPS; otherwise, some kind of system to mount the cue sheet on your handlebars is generally a good idea (don't forget helmet-mounted light).

Easiest way of course is to ride in a group; if you are at the front there'll be experienced fast guys who take the lead. The groups tend to be very casual and people generally don't wait around for each other at the controls, though, so they get smaller and smaller as the ride goes on. Your first 100kms should be no problem, though.

David I think always scouts out the entire route in sections before actually doing it; as you can see by his times it seems to work for him!

Anyway, I had a look at the cue sheet and it looks like you'll be passing within 3 km of my place around the 80km mark, so if you're interested I could meet you at the entrance to the 【ちばリサーチパーク入口】 (No. 33 on the cue sheet) and guide you through Sakura to the lakes at least and maybe the Tone R...providing I can keep up! My bet though is that you'll still be in a group at that point, so prob. not needed...

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Recon Ride

Re: the cue sheets, they are very complicated in Japan (unlike, say, brevets in the Canadian prairies, which essentially list four right turns at 150km intervals :)). Knowing parts of the route does help. Some people use GPS; otherwise, some kind of system to mount the cue sheet on your handlebars is generally a good idea (don't forget helmet-mounted light).
Thanks for the advice Phil. In fact, I think I will do a reconnaissance ride tonight.
I’ll take the train out to Yatsumi around midnight, and start riding from “Checkpoint 7” (My wife’s staying at her parent’s house tonight, so I have the go-ahead from her). A few things I was wondering about though… Right at the bottom of Boso, near Shirahama, the cue-sheet was very specific about staying on the coast road instead of the “Flower Line” (which looks like it would be quicker). Would it matter if I stayed on the Flower Line all the way? As long as I’m at the checkpoint, it should be O.K, shouldn’t it?
To anyone else who may have wanted to join me, sorry about the late notice! But if you don’t hear from me by tomorrow evening, please send word to the authorities, and have them search for my remains … There are no bears in Chiba, right!? I’ll be somewhere along the following route:
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/-chiba/211127566611056646

As for the helmet lights, I picked up two of these beauties last week – Fenix E20’s.

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4003%2F4670429587_8eabd5f82a.jpg&hash=1d74f11054cf00b83db5d706316ac32c

And here’s what they look like when attached…

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4059%2F4670429669_e66a695b6f.jpg&hash=5909d179397fb4e622db9eac975f21a2

proxy.php?image=http%3A%2F%2Ffarm5.static.flickr.com%2F4015%2F4671056234_bb13a4baaf_m.jpg&hash=aee0f8ad3f32e7849cfc789f04ead61c

No bear will even DARE to try anything while I’m wearing my “death-ray helmet”!

FarEast

Maximum Pace
May 25, 2009
Yokohama
Ohhhhh.... nice. Very similar to the rig i have on my MTB helmet for night rides (Yes offroad at night is awesome :D)

You may want to invest in some Cryee LED's for them use very little power and can pound out a whopping 500 lumens..... they do a 1000 lumens one as well.

There is a street vendor in Akihabara thats sells both the Cree bulbs and also recharable batteries for an amazing price!

Phil

Maximum Pace
Nice choice on the lights; I have two Fenix lights on the handlebars and a smaller one on the helmet for night riding...they do the job nicely. One other lighting note is that the rear red light is supposed to be mounted directly on the bike, not, say, attached to a saddle bag. They did check this on the last brevet I did but I managed to sneak by, but if you just have one of the Topeak style lights that mount on the bag you might want to pick up another to attach to the seatstay or seat tube.

Right at the bottom of Boso, near Shirahama, the cue-sheet was very specific about staying on the coast road instead of the “Flower Line” (which looks like it would be quicker). Would it matter if I stayed on the Flower Line all the way? As long as I’m at the checkpoint, it should be O.K, shouldn’t it?
Well, I think technically, it would be pretty much a violation of the rules, both the letter and the spirit; the idea is to do the route exactly as drawn. More practically, it will muck up your total km count for the cue sheet. You could reset at the next check point and keep doing the math at every turn, but I know I wouldn't have enough firing neurons to do that beyond the 200km mark...

There are no bears in Chiba, right!?
Never seen any yet, but last brevet I did startle a pair of deer crossing the 485 at 3 am...

Good luck on the ride tonight!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
Kita-Ueno
Heading out...

Ohhhhh.... nice. Very similar to the rig i have on my MTB helmet for night rides (Yes offroad at night is awesome :D)

You may want to invest in some Cryee LED's for them use very little power and can pound out a whopping 500 lumens.....

There is a street vendor in Akihabara thats sells both the Cree bulbs and also recharable batteries for an amazing price!
As a matter of fact, I did actually buy them at a small shop in Akihabara - Don't know if it's the same one you're talking about though. And this particular model puts out 109 lumens each.

Well, I think technically, it would be pretty much a violation of the rules, both the letter and the spirit; the idea is to do the route exactly as drawn. More practically, it will muck up your total km count for the cue sheet. You could reset at the next check point and keep doing the math at every turn, but I know I wouldn't have enough firing neurons to do that beyond the 200km mark...

Good luck on the ride tonight!
Fair enough! I'll stick to course as written.
I'm not in any rush tonight, so ...
Anyway, heading out the door now. Will post tomorrow! Travis