What's new

2007 Fuji-san ECO Cycling

chazzer

Speeding Up
Nov 23, 2006
Anyone else going to do this one ? It is over the weekend of Oct 13th and 14th and combines a clean up of Fuji-san with a 100km ride on the Sunday for 1000 riders starting at 06:00. The route is a circular around the base of Fuji-san. Uses 469, 138 and 139 I think.

I have sent in my application. Looks like a good ride but not too tough ! Just right for me I think !!

Charles

Was very tempted, but with events last month and next (plus it's a bit of a haul from Chiba) I decided to pass this time. I'd love to hear how it goes though, so please let us know--have to start planning next year's calendar :)

Preparation !

With some trepidation I headed out yesterday for my first return to the mountains since Tomin no Mori way back in March or April I think it was. Earlier in the year I discovered that I had overactive thyroid gland which meant that I was - well - HYPER !!

Riding back then was a bit like driving everywhere in second gear - you get there eventually, but not without a lot of revving, huffing and puffing and calamitous noise !

Now I have been normalised with some good meds and actually went HYPO and back up to normal again. Doc says I am now good to go....so I did !

I decided to rinko it to Hashimoto and then go for the classic loop 413, 412, 20, 139, and 413. Pleased to say that I made it all the way and felt pretty good throughout thanks to the compact and 27 on the back which I was not ashamed to use when I really couldn`t take anymore. Only a very few periods exceeding HR 85%.

On the way back I took the wrong direction when rejoining 412 and so ended up putting in another 20+ kms labouring up and down climbs towards Atsugi. There are some good climbs in that direction if anyone is looking for a bonus on this route btw !

Traffic was heavy around Yamanakako and I felt sufficiently genki to remonstrate with an old fart in a BMW who just cut right in front of me with that stupid little apologetic wave you get sometimes that says "....I`m a car and I am coming out now - ready or not ....".

The raw stats were :

Distance 159km
Elapsed time 6:53
Avg speed 23.1km
Max 64.1km
Cal 6545
Avg Heart 134bpm
Max Heart 170bpm (10% gradient)
Avg Cadence 78rpm
Ascent 2251m
Descent 2198m
Max Gradient 17%

Now - a recommendation. If you own a GPS and a Mac unit then try this out. It is fantastic ! Even if you don`t the website is still very interesting I think.

http://www.montebellosoftware.com/index.html

With this I can see that I spent my time as follows :

Below HR Zone 1 9%
HR Zone 1 16%
HR Zone 2 27%
HR Zone 3 38%
HR Zone 4 10%
HR Zone 5 0%

In other words a great work out and it looks like I do get the distance so next weekend the 100km should be ideal !

All the best,

Charles

Welcome back!

The raw stats were :

Distance 159km
Elapsed time 6:53
Avg speed 23.1km
Max 64.1km
Cal 6545
Avg Heart 134bpm
Max Heart 170bpm (10% gradient)
Avg Cadence 78rpm
Ascent 2251m
Descent 2198m
Max Gradient 17%

Charles,
Good to hear you are back to biking again. That's quite a 'baptism of fire' after a big lay-off.
See you on the roads,
AW.

Fantastic . . .

Hi Charles,

Not just a return to performance, but a huge leap forward! 160km on a tough course. Congratulations Charles. You have shown real character through some tough times. Nokogiri next??? :D

Respectfully,

Philip

Fuji Eco Cycling

Have now put this up under the Blog section and some other stuff to follow in the Gallery.

Many thanks for the encouragement Philip !!

Charles

Great report Charles . . .

I have climbed up to Yamanakako from the Gotemba side with Christoph (actually behind Christoph - a long way behind :D ). That is tough. An average speed of +24 kph including that climb (and the final section) is very respectable Charles. Well done. Sounds like a great day!

Cheers,

Philip

Gps

Hey Chazzer,

that's a solid ride. Well done mate. Do you have the Edge 305? I'm very interested in it and was just wondering if it's as good as I've heard. That software for mac looks really sweet too.

Edge 305

Indeed I do....excellent device, once you realise that it is not a full-on navi and learn how to use it to the full. However, it really needs a good set of software at home base to do it justice and, if you have a Mac, then Ascent is really the best that I have found.

I also use Garmin Training Center but this is somewhat limited in its Mac manifestation.

There is a new Edge out now which does everything i.e. real-time navi plus all the regular functions. Not sure if this is available in Japan just yet though.

Charles

Yeah, it really looks the goods. Did u buy the ascent software from the homepage you listed above?

Ascent

Mike - yes it was a straightforward download. The forums on the site are pretty good too actually.

Charles

Thanks for the valuable info Charles, I reckon I'm gonna get it soon.

Mike

Back
Top Bottom