What's new

1st Jan: Around the Yamanote

Half-Fast Mike

Lanterne Rouge-et-vert
May 22, 2007
OK boys and girls here's something to do on New Year's Day while nursing your hangover instead of watching TV and eating unpalatable foods. The now-traditional Half Fast Yamamote Loop.

Meet at 09.30 at Shinagawa station. The Konan-guchi side with the tall lamp post thing, Queen's Kitchen. Not the big hotels side. OK, here.

We'll ride approx 50km in an anti-clockwise loop around the city. The route has been refined by Half Fast's finest over the last few years and is a great way to see sides of Tokyo you probably only ever knew as station names.

Pace will be exceedingly moderate by TCC standards. The route is complex so we all need to stay together. Just trying to get everyone round in one piece before dark. Very little traffic on 1st Jan so cycling in the city is a joy. If your bike is in good condition and you're confident that you can ride 50km in a day then you're welcome to join in.

Lunch with beer at Nippori. Second beer stop at Ebisu Garden Place where we can also enjoy annoying the bicycle parking attendants. Possibly outside in the afternoon sunshine; possibly inside with hot sausages.

Bring warm clothes, water bottle and bike in good working order. If you think you might want to quit early, bring a bike bag; we'll never be far from a station!

Cancelled in the event of adverse weather.

Here's a movie of the ride from two years ago (sorry about jellyvision lens on cheapo helmet cam)

Happy to discuss.

20100101-153139-yamanote-mike.jpg

It looks like fun, simply for the fact that Tokyo is almost deserted
(Of course, everyone is at home having their one-week-late-Christmas-cheer:p).

Very tempting!

I would hope that I can keep up :eek:

I'll have to check with the boss ;) and see what, if anything is up for the 1st.....

No probablem, Stu. We'll take care of you.
Thanks Mike!

Looks like I got out voted :( We will be going to Zushi to visit some friends on the 1st, I thought we were going on the 2nd, but the wives apparently got together and decided on the first :rolleyes:

I'll do my best to book the ride next year for sure.

Cheers!

This looks like fun, cruisy pace with a couple of beer stops :)

Konan side, thats the East Side of Shinagawa right??

Thanks Mike!

Looks like I got out voted :( We will be going to Zushi to visit some friends on the 1st, I thought we were going on the 2nd, but the wives apparently got together and decided on the first :rolleyes:I'll do my best to book the ride next year for sure.

Cheers!

No plans on the 2nd? Great join the Ekiden then!

No plans on the 2nd? Great join the Ekiden then!
Staying overnight, will not be back until the evening of the 2nd.

No TV so we cannot even watch the Ekiden....... Hooray!! :D

So gents, how did it go?

I was wishing I was riding on the first, I was with the family visiting friends, fun for sure, but I ate too much and drank too much :eek: To work part of that off, I took a nice 8Km long walk around Zushi, still, I would have much rather been on the bike ride. Maybe next year.

So, will a report be forthcoming?

Cheers!

So, will a report be forthcoming?
Wasn't planning to; I was unable to join the ride because of a family illness. :( Badar came along and had some fun.
Started the new year with a 90km ride in Tokyo which included the HFC's Yamanote loop... and Mike wasn't there after inviting everyone for it! Brian is an awesome leader and knows such beautiful secret roads and parks, enjoyed every kilometer of the ride!
Got a few photos from Brian the Intrepid:

20110101093517newyearya.jpg

Here we go round the mulberry bush!

20110101095749newyearya.jpg

In front of the famous temple, Anaza-ji

20110101101231newyearya.jpg

Bustin' through the Yurakucho arcades.

Back
Top Bottom