What's new

165km flat run on Friday 23rd Nov

basilleroux

Maximum Pace
Jun 26, 2011
Phil and I have organized a 165km flat run heading out from Sakura, across to the Chiba coast and then following the Tone river back to the start. Route details can be found here:

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1872123

We will be rolling out of Sakura station at 9am and it will be a quickish ride (30km/hr plus).

Popping it up now so as you can get the excuses in early to family members as to why you are not spending the day with them.

Hopefully see you there.

Basil, thanks for proposing and organizing this! Count me as officially in, obviously.

For those who've done Choshi loops in the past, note that Basil has us crossing over to the Ibaraki side immediately, which I've never done previously and will take us past the busy artery out of Choshi that is always the worst part of these loops.

If you haven't done northern Boso before, it's mostly dead flat (except for getting up and over the low escarpment that separates the Tone valley from the coastal plain), but offers more variety scenery-wise than a straight river run. Most importantly though, it's 160 kms of hammering, unfettered by gates, gradients, or gridlock... pacelines ahoy.

Hi Basil, Phil,

Mind if 4-5 guys join? Have talked about this ride with a few people and all quite keen, surprisingly. We are all reasonably strong riders I think, so hopefully should not hold you up. None of us know Boso all that well though, so it would be great to join if you two are cool with that?

Ryano

looks like a good route, I'd love to do it when I get a bit fitter. Also my company has a compulsory thanks giving party that day which completely rules me out

Ryano > It's Basil's run so I don't want to speak for him, but I think it's safe to say more the the merrier--will be great to meet you and your group.

PickledNoob > Sorry you can't make it this time. Planning to do a few more flat runs over the winter so hopefully then...

Basil,

Please count me in for this one! I'm also hoping for a long pace line.

Tom

Train Info

Coming out to Sakura JR, the best option by far is the Shiosai Tokkyu (Special Express) which is direct out of Tokyo, no change at Chiba required. It's an extra 900 yen, but worth the change, in my experience:

JR特急しおさい1号
Departs Tokyo 7:37 (stops also at Kinshicho on the Sobu Line), arrives Sakura 8:24.

Other option:
JR Yokosuka/Sobu Kaisoku out of Tokyo:
7:24 out of Tokyo, change at Chiba to Narita Line (8:20). Arrives Sakura 8:38.

If everyone drives/takes the Shiosai, we should also be able to roll out earlier than 9...say, 8:45, which will give us extra daylight on the return leg.

South Exit

Forgot to mention also that the meeting point is at the south exit (not north exit as on the map). There is lots of parking there (if coming by car) and a 7-11 to the right as you come out of the station.

Looks like a great ride, would love to join. Weather forecast not looking too good though, will ride be on even if it rains?

Will make a call on it Friday morning. A light shower or 2 and I will be out but if the weather is like it was on Saturday afternoon I will be staying in.

With the weather report showing no signs of improvement we will make a decision on Thursday night whether to reschedule or not. If it does get rescheduled will aim for Sunday 25th, setting off at 8.45am (as before).

All, with the weather report tomorrow showing a 60-70% chance of rain the ride is being rescheduled for Sunday. The details remain the same (depart Sakura station at 8.45am).

See you then.

Basil

Too bad, dying for this ride and now have to wait another 2 days! Good call though, weather definitely not looking good for tomorrow.

For those coming on the train, the JR special express arriving at 8:24 mentioned above also runs on Sunday, so train info still stands.

See everyone tomorrow

Good call on the weather, Basil--rained all day yesterday and most of the morning out here, but it's looking good for tomorrow. I'll be at the station at 8:30 or so. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Also, just a reminder to bring decent lights if you have them. We should be back by 4, but if it's a larger group delays can happen and the last 20 km into Sakura are mostly unlit country roads and river bike paths.

Thanks all for the great ride today, especially to Basil for proposing/setting a cracking pace throughout. Feel a bit sheepish about my dire warning about lights after we rolled into Sakura before 3 pm... :warau: Time for some serious lying motionless on the sofa.

Thanks for the great ride today. It felt great zipping along across the flat land and enjoying the brisk autumn air. I'll be sleeping well tonight -- wish
I didn't have to work tomorrow!

Back
Top Bottom