What's new

130mm wheels on 135 hub spacing?

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Can road wheels be used on a touring/mtb rear hub spacing? Adaptors/spacer for 130 to 135, or just scrunch the frame down? (steel)

Would derailleur adjustment be a hassle?

What kind of frame?

Steel, yeah, most likely OK, CF not a so much maybe...... :rolleyes: :D

Add a washer on each side and then scrunch it down a bit....?

Why not give it a try, see how it goes :D

Steel frame, was wondering whether a washer on each side would be better, or a single washer/spacer on the non-drive side would be the way to go.

Possible derailleur adjustment?

Add a couple of 5 yen washers then scrunch the rest. You might have to adjust the derailleur stops. That's about it. Steel will be fine. If this was Alloy or Carbon I'd advise otherwise.

I was thinking either 135 or 130 would be fine on their own w/o planning to swap back and forth (and from your replies, apparently it'll be okay), ...

...but was wondering that maybe a 5mm single spacer on the non-drive side would keep front-rear in line (9-speed in both cases), whereas 2.5mm spacer on each side would not.

Not having to readjust the rear DR would make life easier. (or at least not having to fine-tune it)

I doubt you'd notice any mis-alignment as long as the wheels are parallel. As for chainline - it really won't make a difference either. (reality). As the newer chains will have plenty of lateral tolerance to accommodate any chainline angle. In other words - don't sweat it . If you don't like scrunching in your stays - then just toss in a couple washers. In fact - the space is more on the NDS then the DS, btw. So - you're correct in placing your 'thick washer' on the NDS. Trust me - I run this similar combination all the time on my Toge Warrior which is set for 130mm (fixed gear) but I run 3 different rear wheels with no issues! 120mm Track, 130mm Fixed and 135mm Alfine. The only difference is a few cheap washers on the NDS. The frame IS titanium which is very 'memory' oriented - but it's similar to Cromo in its tolerance for this kind of abuse.

Back
Top Bottom