126mm 8+Speed Hubs

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Tokyo
Hi,

Any of the wise, experienced men in the forum know, which hubs/wheelsets take a 8/9/10 speed cassette, but come equipped with or can be converted to old seven speed rear spacing of 126mm?

I have a veritable road frame of such spacing that cannot be bent or coldset to accommodate 130mm hubs because of way it is welded and the steel being used. (Reynolds 753). I know that for a while after Shimano introduced 8 Speed shifting with the wider spacing, newer hubs still had spacers you could remove to fit them in old 126mm frames. That is what I am looking for. Probably now selling hubs don't feature this anymore, but I would like to know what my options are so I can start searching.

Thanks in advance!

GSAstuto

Maximum Pace
Oct 11, 2009
tokyo
www.roadfixie.com
The Shimano (newer) are all 135mm. Older Nexus is 125mm and Sturmey Archer (most models) are 120mm OLD (Over Lock Nut Dimension). So - best bet is the SA Hub. You may be able to squeeze in a Nexus by removing the brake bits and planing down the lock nuts. I think you could flex the 753 to 130 without too much issue. For sure it won't cold set - but you are only talking about 9mm...