What's new

126mm 8+Speed Hubs

Gunjira

Maximum Pace
Oct 2, 2009
Hi,

Any of the wise, experienced men in the forum know, which hubs/wheelsets take a 8/9/10 speed cassette, but come equipped with or can be converted to old seven speed rear spacing of 126mm?

I have a veritable road frame of such spacing that cannot be bent or coldset to accommodate 130mm hubs because of way it is welded and the steel being used. (Reynolds 753). I know that for a while after Shimano introduced 8 Speed shifting with the wider spacing, newer hubs still had spacers you could remove to fit them in old 126mm frames. That is what I am looking for. Probably now selling hubs don't feature this anymore, but I would like to know what my options are so I can start searching.

Thanks in advance!

The Shimano (newer) are all 135mm. Older Nexus is 125mm and Sturmey Archer (most models) are 120mm OLD (Over Lock Nut Dimension). So - best bet is the SA Hub. You may be able to squeeze in a Nexus by removing the brake bits and planing down the lock nuts. I think you could flex the 753 to 130 without too much issue. For sure it won't cold set - but you are only talking about 9mm...

Back
Top Bottom