What's new

Official Ride 11th Hotaka Hill-Climb/Giro de Hotaka (20th TCC Tour)

Pucci

Speeding Up
Jul 12, 2006
The two-day Hotaka Hill-Climb/ Giro de Hotaka event is now an official tour.

There is a thread on the event here:

https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=480

Details in English and Japanese at the links below:

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/bicycle/race/tone/forme.htm
http://www.ne.jp/asahi/bicycle/race/htkgiro/forme.htm

Alan's super-duper prpofile map here:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/75315

It looks like Hotaka is a hard place to get to except by car. We probably need to pool our resources.

Interested riders so far are:

Me (Aaron)
Sean
Travis
Thomas
Alan

-------------------------------------Disclaimer from TCC--------------------------------------
[in Japanese 日本語]
以下の内容に同意の上、オフィシャルツアーにご参加ください。

---------------オフィシャルツアー参加規約---------------
東京サイクリングクラブ(TCC)は、オフィシャルツアーにおいて発生する事故・怪我・損害等について一切責任を負いません。すべて参加者の自己責任において処理・対応をお願いします。対人・対物の事故が発生した場合も、事故の相手との交渉・対応等は全て事故を起こした方ご本人が行ってください。
上記内容に同意いただけない場合は参加をお断りいたします。

Sora

Roll Call

I called the organizers and they asked us to hurry up so that they can arrange decent lodging. I'd like to finalize this and apply this week.

So far (I think):

Me (Aaron)
Sean
Travis
Thomas
Alan
Mike
Anyone else?

Application

I will be applying tomorrow, online.
Does anyone have any preference for accommodation? We should all try to stay in the same Pension if we can.

AW.

O~i !!!

What Pucci said!
I've been on the phone with Aaron, and we really need to get the numbers finalized ASAP.
So far, the people who are definitely confirmed are:

Aaron "Pucci",
Sean,
Mike,
Travis "YellowGiant" (me).

Still waiting to hear from:

Thomas - If your legs are still hurting from the Mt.Fuji race, fear not! They'll be better in a month (probably a couple of days;))!
AlanW - Your last ride from the base of Mt.Fuji to Yanagisawa-toge and Matsuhime-toge should have been perfect training for this ride! Are you still in?

Apparently there are only 300 positions available for the whole ride, and the count at the moment is up to 180 riders. There's still time for registration, but if we all want to stay together as a group at the same hotel/minshuku (whatever accommodation), then we need to act quickly.
Aaron (Pucci) has actually called the organizers to arrange things for us so far, but we need to know exactly who is "IN", and who isn't to get things in order.

Hope to hear from you (Thomas & Alan) by the end of the week... sorry to sound so pushy, but there's a deadline.
Travis

Thomas,

can't believe you have'nt entered this yet! Don't use your leg aches as an excuse - Your performance on Fuji was exceptional (but rest assured IF I can be back here next year I will challenge Fuji and Hotaka - will you ride with me again?:cool:)
If you are not booked for anything else - give the TCC a boost and join up. There is no way this can be as tough as Fuji, different yes but as mentally challenging :eek:- never seen anything like it................ GO FOR IT!

All the best - to all TCC that enter

Greg

On my way back to the UK:(

No leg aches here, just a slight cold. It seems I have found a substitute for my Sunday classes, so please count me in.

Just to reconfirm, I am definitely in for this race. Thanks for making the bookings guys. Aaron, Sorry about the ride this weekend though, if it was Sunday I'd be there.
Mike

Still waiting to hear from:

AlanW - Your last ride from the base of Mt.Fuji to Yanagisawa-toge and Matsuhime-toge should have been perfect training for this ride! Are you still in?

Travis,
I am definitely on for this race. Are you doing the entry for TCC? If so, please put me on the list. If not, or you already did, let me know (+ which Pension) and I will enter myself.
AW.

Entry

Everyone enter individually. Put Tokyo Cycling Club as the club name.

As soon as I have the full list I will arrange the accomodation.

Be sure to use the "arrange accomodation through race sponsors" option so you get \1,000 discount for each day.

Aaron

Aaron, I entered I think! Every time I submit my application it says 'done' but then it automatically opens my email with a blank email......is this normal???

Mike

Hey Mike, I had a similar problem!

Finally, I e-mailed the guy "Hiroshi Kodama", and he sent me out the forms in the post.
Applying via the internet is troublesome, due to the "Windows Outlook" default.

Now, I've just mailed him again to say that from "Tokyo Cycling Club (TCC)", there WILL be 6 of us! - Hopefully staying in the same "minshuku/hotel".
I've given him first names only, because that's all I know.
The accommodation is under "Sean Wood"'s name - That's the only other (sur)name that Hiroshi Kodama (児玉 浩)knows as well.

So far;

Aaron,
Alan,
Mike,
Sean,
Thomas,
Travis.

As for getting there;
Aaron has offered to give 3 of us a lift in his car - Aaron, Mike, Sean & Travis (me).
And Alan is going to drive out there as well.
I spoke to him on the phone briefly to see if he could fit Thomas in as well...
but that might not be possible.

Anyway, we've all got a few weeks to work things out in the transport department.
IF... and a big "if" things don't work out with the car situation, I might jump on the train really early with Thomas.
We still have time to check things out with the cars though.

But most importantly, if you're having problems getting registered, just send them a quick mail, and they'll send you the forms in the (post) mail.
Payment is by bank-transfer - And the bank account no. is on the official site that Pucci posted a few weeks ago.
If we can all get that done, then there should be no problem with the accommodation.
Let's try to have everyone down by the end of the week, eh!?
Travis

BTW:
>Thomas: I've checked the train times, and it's 45 minutes from Takasaki to "Numata" station.
From Numata, it's a 30km ride, all up-hill, to the starting point.
The earliest train arrives at 7:55am, which is plenty of time to get there, but after climbing 30km, will you really want to race?
ie. Think about the car option if at all possible. T

Thanks for doing that Travis. I'll get the payment sent off by the end of the week. If there is a problem with the car option i.e Aaron has work commitments, I suggest we rent a car because going by train would be a nightmare for sure. I can rent it if that is our last option. Thanks again mate!
Mike

Transport

...And Alan is going to drive out there as well.
I spoke to him on the phone briefly to see if he could fit Thomas in as well...
but that might not be possible....

Thomas,
I'd be happy to give you a lift, but we need to check that we can fit both our bikes into my car. I can get Naomi-san's and mine in but it's a tight fit, and your frame is a bit larger!
I don't want to be stuck on Saturday morning with bikes that won't go in. Let's test it beforehand.

AW.​

Travis,

thanks a lot for the detailed info. I've managed to register online, seems it worked. As you said, we still have time to arrange for transportation.

Thomas,
I'd be happy to give you a lift, but we need to check that we can fit both our bikes into my car. I can get Naomi-san's and mine in but it's a tight fit, and your frame is a bit larger! I don't want to be stuck on Saturday morning with bikes that won't go in. Let's test it beforehand.

Alan,

I appreciate your kind offer. Let's see if we manage to fold my titanium frame.

Mike,

renting and sharing a car would definitely be a viable option. :)

Update!

I received a reply from Mr. Kodama on Monday:

「Mail を受けました。全て了解しました。質問があります。
1.6人全員が宿泊で良いですか? (全員同じ宿になります)
2.Sean さんは"Giro de HOTAKA 2007"だけに出場ですか?
彼のApplicationは"Giro de HOTAKA 2007"だけです。
3.Mike さんのApplicationはまだ届いていません。
I look forward to seeing you at Hotaka
Regards
児玉 浩」

"I got your mail. All 6 members of TCC wil be there. Some questions.
1. Will all 6 of you be staying (all in the same accommodation)?
2. Sean is ONLY going the "Giro de Hotaka" on Sunday. Is that right?
3. I still haven't heard from "Mike"."

This was on Monday, so hopefully:
>Mike: Have you arranged the details yet?
>Sean: You are a wise man, and I may even follow suit!

I will be replying to Mr. Kodama by Friday at the latest to make sure everything is set.
Any questions before I do so?
Travis

In for a penny, in for a pound

Travis,
I am going to do both races. I have sent payment to the race organisers.

Update: Just received my entry confirmation from the organisers.

AW.

Travis, this is getting confusing mate. I thought you said you put my name down on the application. As far as I understood, we were all going to do both races. What does he mean he hasn't heard from me yet? Do I need to send him a mail? I thought that was taken care of. Aaron, what's the story? Are you going to organise the accomodation, or do we need to do that ourselves? I plan on paying tomorrow, but am wondering if this Kodama dude will even know who I am.......

Okay I managed to send the application form with my Mac! I'm in for both days of racing.

Fear not...

Mr. Kodama knows all of our first names, and will be expecting your application!
He's expecting six foreigners, signed up under the name of either "Tokyo Cycling Club", or just "TCC".
Back home, knowing the first name only might have caused problems...
"There are 18 Mikes, 20 Petes, 33 Daves..." etc. But I don't think that's too much of a problem in this country.

As for the accommodation, he was able to tell me Sean's last name, and then ask, "should I stick all you TCC guys in with him?". I said "yes", but I still don't know the name of the minshuku/hotel.
I'll ask him that later.
T

Driving Up

Sean didn't realize he needed both applications. He will be sending in the HC race form today.

I plan to drive up with Sean, Mike and Travis. Navitime says the drive will take 4h38m and registration ends at 12:30. That means we really should be on the road by 7:00.

One disclaimer, however. As you all saw during our last ride, I am on call 24x7x365. I do not expect any emergencies, but there is always a chance. Basically, if I miss the race because I end up working all night, you will all miss it with me.

As long as you are all OK with that, then we are good to go.

I have sent payment today and will also participate in both events.

Back
Top Bottom