What's new

11th Edaori Toge Hill Climb in Uonuma Sunday August 10th

My legs and lungs ache reading that. Well done and keep writing. Great style.

A video here. My bum get's a brief appearance at 10:30 ~ 12:00 sucking Murayama san's wheel.

This guy does a good ride after that in a group of 3 racing for 4th, 5th and 6th.
Then Murayama san joins from the back and drops the hammer at 36:20. 55 years old and still got the turbo!
Andy

www.jyonnobitime.com/time

You mean his attack?

That climb is 14 km. 3 to 4 easy kms. Followed by 7 or 8 hard kms. The last 3 kms are brutal. It eases off just before the finish which is where he dropped the hammer.

At 55 years old he's not the force he once was but he's inspiration to us all!

Andy

It was nice to watch that with all the data showing, much more interesting than without.

Thanks for posting it.

I was watching the speed/grade on the movie you posted. Absolutely flying in places. My remark was more to do with the whole speed of the uphill stuff. Mad. Not sure I'd ever get there. I tend to blow up early and crawl. Kudos!

Lots of heavy grinding in that video.
I was probably grinding more than most as I had to drag my 75 kg up the hill. That's plus 20 kg on my mate Tazaki san (55 kg) who came second.

I used a compact 34 and 27 cassette. But it was still a struggle on the 16, 17 % sections.

Incidentally I was 2 minutes faster in 2005 using a 39 x 23. Must be getting soft with age...

Andy

Why are you using those 60s? Heavy wheels for hill climbing.

II had to drag my 75 kg up the hill. That's plus 20 kg on my mate Tazaki san (55 kg) who came second.

That`s the problem with hill climbs...it all comes down to weight, so unless you are naturally skinny, how hungry are you prepared to be? I`ve gained 2 1/2 kgs recently (62.5 - 65), so actually did worse in a recent hill climb by 12 secs over an hour. Not bad considering, but if I got down to 55kg I`d have podiumed in my age group...not that bothered.

u shaped aero profile and with 25mm tyres for good rolling resistance.

For the rear, no problems, but for the front, don`t forget about aero. A narrower tyre will be faster, even on modern U rims. I don`t know tubulars, but for example, on a clincher go-to`s are either a Conti Supersonic 20 or Attack 22, depending on puncture risk - so look for something equivalent.

It`s interesting watching the different riders` styles at the beginning, but I can`t believe those metrics. He rode the race with an average HR in the low 160s???

From Zipp
Firecrest wheels with wider tire beds
The best aero and lowest rolling resistance is obtained with front 23mm and rear 25mm width tires running at the recommended tire pressures.
Tubluar
Clincher

Older narrow rims - pre-Firecrest
Tire choice depends highly on user preference and conditions. To summarize, a 21mm has superior aerodynamics with our rims; a 23mm is larger and subsequently has better ride quality and rim protection, but at a slight aero penalty. Here are some questions you can ask that will help guide your decision:

Triathlon/Time trial? In general – 21mm.
Road racing? In general – 23mm.
Training and/or daily riding? 23mm+

Dry? 21mm at normal recommended pressure.
Wet? 23mm at a slightly lower pressure.

Smooth roads? 21mm at normal recommended pressure.
Rough roads? 23mm at a slightly lower pressure.

User prefers slight aero benefit of 21's at the expense of a little ride comfort, rim protection, and rolling resistance? Use 21mm.
User prefers slightly better ride comfort, rim protection, and rolling resistance of 23's at the expense of a little aero? Use 23mm.

Rider weighs less? 21mm.
Rider weighs more? 23mm.

Sikochi, of course weight is all important. If you lose weight you will go uphill faster to an extent. Two things limit this: the strength in your legs and cardiovascular ability. Usually I feel it is one of these - which one depends on the type of course and the stage in the season.

Unfortunately these things deteriorate with age. So I was 2 minutes faster in 2005. A heavier body, heavier bike and no consideration for wheels etc.

That guy's HR could be accurate as he was an old guy. I did that climb with Murayama san in training a couple of years ago. He maxed out at around 160 going full gas.

As for tyres, yes a thinner profile on the front for TTs and triathlons. But how important is aerodynamics on a steep climb like that? Certainly 25s roll better. Close call?

Anyway I have a tough race tomorrow. Tough competition. 110 km of up and down on rough roads. The tyre of choice? 25 mm Gatorskins!

Andy

Back
Top Bottom