100 days

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Today marked the 100th day of a 100-day challenge. Finding out what that is is an easy google, so I'll let you do that, but mine was a simple "hey, I'll give that a try," back at the beginning of June. No real goal other than this: Do something daily. Thanks for the idea @Edogawakikkoman

"Something" in my case has meant either a bike ride or a swim. That's it. No real minimums, speed, elevation, training goals, nothing about heart rate, KOMs, personal bests, and so on. Just do one or the other daily. (so on a bike, junk km are okay)

Over the last 100 days I've cycled 72 times, a good two out of three days, for an average ride of 37.98km. I swam 53 out of 100, every other day, for a typical 2.044km (not quite 41 laps). There were 23 days when I did both. (a few of those were a much shorter ride followed by a swim)

The goal was just to do 100. But, while the usual summer weight loss started earlier (golden week?), I'm down a solid 7kg, lower than usual for this point in the summer, and I think this 100-day goal helped. I now hope to lose a bit more before the weather turns for the winter.

Going forward, there's no reason to take a break from this (it's about changing behaviour/habits). Maybe I can extend this into early December or so--longer if I set up my trainer early enough.

Jan 14, 2007
Noda
japanichiban.com
I'm down 5kg but had to abandon the 100 days due to achilles problems...been catching up though lately...could be a new start soon...the weight loss will hopefully help my poor injury prone legs...
Good on you for sticking with it...my brother also completed his, in time for his Indonesia surfing trip next week...I was very depressed when I had to stop...seems like every plan I try gets sabotaged. Too much too soon... will update my knee surgery thread in a few days... may shed some light on a lot of things...

Forsbrook

Maximum Pace
Feb 13, 2008
Katsushika-ku
I'm down 5kg but had to abandon the 100 days due to achilles problems...been catching up though lately...could be a new start soon...the weight loss will hopefully help my poor injury prone legs...
Good on you for sticking with it...my brother also completed his, in time for his Indonesia surfing trip next week...I was very depressed when I had to stop...seems like every plan I try gets sabotaged. Too much too soon... will update my knee surgery thread in a few days... may shed some light on a lot of things...
Yeah,I was wondering how your recuperation from knee surgery was going.
It's good to see you getting back into race shape step by step no matter how long it takes.
Good luck and hang in there.

Sikochi

Maximum Pace
Sep 13, 2010
Kochi
Well done.

Going forward, there's no reason to take a break from this (it's about changing behaviour/habits).
Going forward, don`t forget that neither cycling or swimming is load bearing, so for general health, I would mix in some impact and load bearing forms of exercise. Running would cover both.

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Setagaya, Tokyo
joewein.net
Today marked the 100th day of a 100-day challenge.
Well done and keep it up! :)

I hate to say it, but I'm now half way between the minimum weight I reached after starting to exercise over three years ago and what had been my average weight for the last 2 decades. This means I'm 4-5 kg above where I want to be again. The biggest factor wasn't the level of exercise, which never changes that much, but what and how I eat. The more meals I cooked for myself (more vegetables, less white rice) the easier it was to lose weight and that is something I haven't been doing much this year.

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Kanazawa
Well done and keep it up! :)

I hate to say it, but I'm now half way between the minimum weight I reached after starting to exercise over three years ago and what had been my average weight for the last 2 decades. This means I'm 4-5 kg above where I want to be again. The biggest factor wasn't the level of exercise, which never changes that much, but what and how I eat. The more meals I cooked for myself (more vegetables, less white rice) the easier it was to lose weight and that is something I haven't been doing much this year.
Thanks, Joe.

Personally, one factor contributing to weight loss was that walnuts (at least the cheap ones) disappeared from the shelves this past spring. Walnuts and cheese was my main snack, and without walnuts, there was no reason to keep eating cheese. (I still drink as much beer as I always have.)

We have always eaten well, but this summer maybe more so. My wife had some surgery just after golden week, and was off work till the beginning of this month (she's okay). But this meant that for the first time in 26+ years of marriage I had a 'housewife' who was ready & eager to cook dinner, instead of having to share that duty between us. This helped by giving me some extra freedom for my activities, but we also quickly got into leftover mode, so that dinners would leave lunches for the following days. Maybe avoiding my school cafeteria is something I could add in as a goal.

Something I forgot to add in my original post: I think pool time, plus the added showers for that (lots of water), really helps with jock rash. I haven't had any at all this year.

Last edited: