What's new

Tech 00's Retro Build

D'Pioneer

Far beyond the black horizon
Oct 9, 2015
70s, 80s and 90s retro builds have all been done, and for now, humanity has not managed to solve the riddle of the indefinite continued progress of existence and events that occur in apparently irreversible succession from the past through the present to the future, ie., 'time', so it seems that the 00's are now looking pretty retro, and about to be hip.

Which got me thinking, I might actually want to build one of these monsters...

If you were going to build the seminal 00's road bike, what parts would you use, colours, dimensions, etc?

I was thinking...

-Early carbon frame, heavy, with primary colours, some kind of neon, or straight white, with garish patterns in the middle of tubes. Huge logos in high contrast colours everywhere.
-Dura Ace 7800/7900, 53-36t / 11-23t
-Early Garmin
-Aluminium clinchers, 20mm, with 21mm tyres

etc.

I want a bike that screams 00's!

I feel this was a transitional period into the subtle, slick, wide tyre aero machines we have now, and one which was still filled with snake oil pseudo science. Before the 00's was the real garish paint era, with anodised purple parts etc, but the 00's did have that too, to an extent. It was an era of sort of Gundam style designs, if that makes sense. The HTC Hi Road kit in white, yellow and grey is a good example. Bike wise, white frame, and red anodised parts is quite 00's too, with too many colours on each bike to figure out what the base colour is supposed to be.

Look frame seconded.

My mate did one and it was mega (yes I described something as 'mega', yes I was a child of the 90s).

Not sure carbon bikes were around in the 00's. I think this bike hits the spot through. You'd look pretty cool riding it around town.

image.jpeg

Love retros. Just got my 1989 Panasonic back on the road. Ultegra all around, new front fork. Love the feel of steel. Took it up in the mountains (Yabitsu) last weekend. Had a blast.

Love retros. Just got my 1989 Panasonic back on the road. Ultegra all around, new front fork. Love the feel of steel. Took it up in the mountains (Yabitsu) last weekend. Had a blast.
Which day were you up there? I was up on Yabitsu on Saturday.

I was there on Sunday. Love route 70. One of the few routes I've found where I don't have to contend with speedsters. It really is great up there.

-Early carbon frame, heavy, with primary colours, some kind of neon, or straight white, with garish patterns in the middle of tubes. Huge logos in high contrast colours everywhere.....

badbike-jpg.14180

Just model it @Mlac Peek s colnago That was released in conjunction with the stone roses single "fools gold" as a special offer to colnago owners who simply adore the stone roses. (And the wah-wah peddle)
He snapped it up from a swede in the 2000s on a payment plan after 2 consecutive singles failed to chart. So that still counts right?

Back
Top Bottom