What's new

松姫峠 / Matsuhime-toge

jdd

Maximum Pace
Hardest Crash
Jul 26, 2008
Just wondering about this one. Of all the reading I do here, I guess I don't remember this one coming up.***

It's an easy google, kind of SW of Okutama-ko on rt. 139. It seems to lie between there and Saruhashi-eki, which heads back to Takao.

Is the road closed? Just a little too far out? Part of a loop or ride known by another name? Not a good ride/climb for some reason?

Again, just wondering, and no hurry.

***on edit: coming up by that name

Last edited:
@jdd, a new tunnel was built under the mountain recently - you can see the entrance at 1m40s on @saibot's video - and the old road (the interesting bit) from the tunnel entrance to the pass was closed off for most of this year for 'essential' logging and maintenance. By closed off I mean that some lifting of bikes over fences and negotiating with forestry workers was necessary to pass by their cranes!

IIRC the deadline for that being completed was 30th September so now in theory the road to the pass is open from both sides (I haven't been back since the summer). There should be less traffic than before, although this will probably attract young lads with motorcycles more powerful than their skills are suited for.

Nice road, and there will be beautiful autumn leaves over the next few weeks.

Matsuhime is a hugely popular climb and a mainstay for many TCCers. But this summer it was closed for a couple of months, perhaps longer, due to forestry work. I think it was scheduled to open in late September.

EDIT: I see @Half-Fast Mike beat me to the draw.

I was there just over a week ago and it was most definitely passable. Surface was very good with just a little debris on the way down into Otsuki. Very little traffic on the old road now the tunnel has been built (likely plunging Japan further into debt). Glorious view of Mt Fuji and a fun descent into Otsuki.

I am hearing that this is no longer open, again. @Nizhniynovgorod you went at it on the 4th and now less than 2 weeks later I hear it is closed, is there any way to confirm this? I was thinking of going out that way tomorrow.

Strava has people going up it as recently as two days ago so maybe my info was wrong.

@Musashi13 You're right, it's not passable at the moment! I found this info on Yamanashi Prefecture's site. It says it's closed for the foreseeable future saying it's "dangerous to pass". I expect it may be due to falling leaves on the road, so It's up to you but you could chance it and jump the barrier. A lot of the time these restrictions are aimed towards cars, but the routes are quite passable by bicycle.

Cheers, that has usually been my experience, too.

As people have done it since you did I expect it is passable and I will keep the route.

Fence is up, a lot of acorns and leaves on the road. Hard to avoid them all and you are likely to send a few popping and whizzing off to the side.

Back
Top Bottom