UPDATE 日本語 Language Support!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCC

Tokyo Cycling Club
Jun 30, 2013
Japanese language support.

So yeah, we finally managed it!

As I mentioned here, https://tokyocycle.com/bbs/threads/language-support.4876/#post-70198, there is nothing in the way of any Japanese language packs pretty much anywhere on the internet, for any forum.

We took this as a challenge and decided to make our own.

This may seem like a fairly simple and easy task, but let me tell you, it was (is) a VAST undertaking. We are talking over 10,000 lines of code to translate, test, check and integrate into the existing framework, for the core system alone. This multiplies in complexity when all the add-ons, mods, and plugins are factored in, plus the small fact of needing to keep the language pack up to date with the ongoing system development by ourselves and the multiple vendors who all roll out updates at different times.

It is a mad, massive job, basically.

Which leads me on to the second main point of this message.

I would like to publicly thank the following people, without whom this would not have been possible in any way whatsoever.

@Half-Fast Mike. Thank you for taking this on right at the beginning and for your help in translating. You definitely got the ball rolling with me, and got others interested and involved. I have no doubt that you will now drive me insane (more insane) by going through the site and pointing out all the errors and ommissions. Haha. Thanks!

@Bluebell. Thank you for stepping in and going through every line of code, checking the translations and fixing it all for us, despite me explaining how to deal with the code at about 55kmph, in English. You somehow managed to do this without making a single mistake despite having no coding experience at all, and really, without you, it would not have happened.

and last, but definitely not least...

@GrantT. Seriously mate, the amount of work you put into this is insane. For those who don't know (which is all of you), @GrantT just sat there and HARDCORED his way through the whole bloody lot with no stopping and no mercy. Unreal effort.

So what now?

Well, this is the very first public version. Version 1.0. So there is going to be a lot of weirdness and errors, for certain. I would like to ask anybody who is willing, to give feedback and offer corrections to anything we got wrong, in this thread.

Once we get things smoothed out, and in shape, I will update the language pack as a whole, and officially release version 1.1.

Which is where things get even cooler...

Version 1.1 will be officially released, by me, to the whole Xenforo forum community, meaning that any website who runs the same core engine we do (which is a lot now, as it is the absolute best software out there), can install and use this language pack to give their own site Japanese language support. This will absolutely be done for free, and will not be offered as a paid-for add-on.

Meaning, we have collectively created the first, and only Japanese Language pack for Xenforo in the world. A Tokyo Cycling Club original.

So there you go.

I had forgotten about all that.

Since installing, we have already made a load of modifications and improvements to the language and will continue to do so until it is perfect.

Again, if anyone notices anything that is odd, or incorrect, please do post.

We also realise that there are sections of the site that remain untranslated. These are being done now and were not done for the first version due to the system being in the middle of an update when we published.

So yeah, all is going well and we are getting it done.

Some updates;

-Have continued translating, pretty much non-stop since going live with the language pack. Loads of new elements added, and constant corrections and updates made to the first edition. We know that there is still a lot to translate, but we are getting there!
-The entire quoting system has been translated now, including the multi-quote drag and drop system.
-Fixed the search menu. This was an absolute bastard to fix, and took me days of searching and fiddling to do. Finally sorted it. "Phew", M.Fielding, 2015.
-The back end of the site is now being translated, which means nothing to the front end user (you lot!), but it means that as well as making site readable in Japanese, it also means that any Japanese programmer can install and run Xenforo themselves, in their native language. We are going in HARD on this, and translating the whole system, basically.

So, as ever, this is not finished, but is slowly improving and being built.

If any of you find any errors, weird Japanese, broken stuff, or whatever, please post here, and these will be put on the end of the already very long list of stuff to get through.

Cheers.

Oh yeah, and the language settings now instantly follow you across all devices you use, without the need to log out and back in again.

If you change from English to Japanese on your desktop, for example, while you have the site open on your phone, then hit refresh on your phone, or access a new screen / submenu, etc., it will automatically flip to the selected language.

This works in every direction too, so if you change it on you Nokia 8210, then go back to you i75960K/RampageExtremeV/64GBDDR4/QuadSLI980 rig, and hit F5 (on your custom red cherry Razor gaming keyboard, with rainbow strobing backlights), it will change to match your best phone ever made settings.

We are currently finalising all email notifications to be in Japanese too, and will roll that out in the next few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom