What's new

りんりんつくば - 10yr Plan for Cycling in Tsukuba

Wolfman

Speeding Up
Jul 31, 2007
Tsukuba City have launched a ten year plan for bicycling in the city, aiming to become a "自転車のまち".

I have only quickly flicked through the document, but any such plan seems very nice, and very welcome.

They are strongly emphasising strengthening and clarification of the rules for cycling - this is actually somewhat similar to a point raised on a Close-Up Gendai show on NHK a couple of weeks ago; as well as cycle sharing etc.

http://www.city.tsukuba.ibaraki.jp/dbps_data/_material_/_files/000/000/008/712/23_01pabukomean.pdf

I hope that this type of strategic planning for cycling will also eventually trickle down to Tokyo.

Tsukuba City have launched a ten year plan for bicycling in the city, aiming to become a "自転車のまち".
Interesting stuff. Tsukuba has certainly made a nice job of the rin-rin road cycle path along the disused railroad route. I've ridden there several times. Leaving the old station platforms in place as rest areas was a nice touch.

I note from the paper that (as usual) the preferred solution to bikes being parked illegally around train stations is to strengthen warnings and enforcement, rather than to provide sufficient legal parking spaces where people might actually need them.

i didnt know about a cycle road in tsukuba, sounds awesome. i may head over next time im not working and its not raining

Rin-Rin Cycling Road

There's a cycling-road called "Rin-Rin" out that way, that goes all the way to the base of Mt. Tsukuba from Tsuchiura.
http://www.mapmyrun.com/routes/view/36940850/
Once you get there, there's a decent 4km climb (average 7%) up to Fudo-toge.
Then you can follow the Skyline Road - Rolling ups & downs like the Green-Line - around to the Ropeway at the very top.
It's a long way to go for such a little climb though.
Also, the "Rin-Rin CR" has a LOT of gates that are a little uncomfortable to squeeze through at speed - Particularly for larger groups stretched out in a long line. If you don't mind that though, it's a fairly nice road.

I note from the paper that (as usual) the preferred solution to bikes being parked illegally around train stations is to strengthen warnings and enforcement, rather than to provide sufficient legal parking spaces where people might actually need them.

Mike they are still taking submissions from the public.

Back
Top Bottom