What's new

Scicon AeroComfort Plus Bag シーコン エアロコンフォートプラス

theDude

Maximum Pace
Oct 7, 2011
Thought I'd post up my experience today with packing up my bike in my recently procured Scicon Aero Comfort Plus bag. I ordered this from a place in Chiba called サイクルハウスジロ via amazon. I would have preferred to save a few thousand yen off of a rakuten vendor but they didn't have it in stock and wasn't sure it would get here in time. The サイクルハウスジロ folks got it here in a day (wasn't even an Amazon Prime option!).

So happy that I got it. Found it mildly amusing that the bombproof bag came in a box that said "Fragile" and "this side up", but whatever. Bit disappointed that there were no instructions. Not a huge deal, I mean, I'm an engineer (technically), but still, seeing some basic diagrams of what was supposed to do what would have been nice. Fortunately, didn't take a lot of time to figure out, and it's not like after building some ikea furniture or something and having leftover bolts and parts.

The only thing to do was to put the sliding fork attachment on. It's not fixed, just slides in, the bike itself holds it in place. Kit also came with 2 foam pads for the forks and some extra velcro pads for where the handlebars are. also came with the front and rear pins to hold the bike in place.

Packing the bike.... Was a bit of a hassle getting wheels off and trying to hold the bike and align with the metal frame of the bag. I ended up going forks first and then moving that forward a bit to fit the rear. Eventually got it in and then it's gravy!

b6f31fd5.jpg

fbe20d49.jpg

Here you can see the piece that serves as a derailleur protector. Looks like it would work, I suppose.

f684d3bb.jpg

I am mildly worried about this part sticking out past the edge of the frame. It's all going to be enclosed in the zipper, but wondering if I should fasten it so it is a bit more forward. Hmm.

22e767ab.jpg

Nice sleeves for the wheels. Gives the bag a bit of structure as well, which is nice.

01d54017.jpg

:bike: :bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:

Seat cover with a strap.

858b4385.jpg

Handlebars have a strap down as well.

photo-2-4.jpg

Two different carry straps (one is a shoulder one, the other is really small, maybe for stabilizing with your hand?). Also included a TSA lock!

7d282f83.jpg

All set to test it out with the Haneda and Singapore baggage handlers....

f0e4ea15.jpg

Weighed in at 17.something kilos with my shoes and helmet. May put a bit more gear in there, plenty of space. Likely take the Garmin off and put in my carry on. Also after getting my hands pretty filthy I stuffed a bunch of latex gloves in the inside pouch of the bag. The external pouch is big enough to stow the straps, handy.

:bike: :bike: :bike: :bike:

I've been using the same bag inside Europe. Very nice - my only complaint is that the zip is of very poor quality and won't close properly any longer in the saddle area. I would have expected better quality for something that expensive.

Also, the bag is quite bulky and heavy - no comparison to putting your bike into a simple Japanese rinko bag with both wheels removed (which is what I have used inside Japan for plane and train rides).

To conclude on the travel....

Bike made it too and from just fine, bag also seems to be as good as new, nothing on it at all. I wouldn't expect this from western baggage handlers tho! :eek:

Got it all packed up now in the storage bag. It's not like a stuff sack or anything, easy to get in, at some point I'll get it upstairs into the loft....

photo-2-6.jpg

I didn't have any zipper issues like Ludwig mentions.... but I do have a couple of things I wouldn't mind improving.

1. There are no external straps that are not removable. Comes with 2 straps, small and long, which is fine, but to put the luggage tag on it, it's a bit of a pain to loop it through the eyelets for holding the attachable straps. Would be nice to have some flush straps where you could attach these and additionally use to pick it up and move it in/out of taxis a bit easier. Not a huge issue.... but still....

2. Inside the wheel sleeves, there is a reinforced section for around the hub/cassette. But only on one side. Wheels are a bit 'sharp' on both sides. Would be nice to have had it on both sides. See here in this pic. (nothing that a couple of hotel towels can't fix, but still....)

01d54017.jpg

all in all, good purchase! :bike: :bike: :bike:

Personally I think strapping your wheels to the frame 'rinko style' , flipping handlebars sideways and make sure to remove the rear derailer and just strap it on the inside of your seat stay would be fine. Then you could use any old rinko bag with similar travel results and have a bag you can actually take with you when you're cycling. Airlines these days will have either a 'Sports Goods' allowance as your bike, or you need to pay excess surcharge. In either case - a cardboard box is allowed. So you can just slip the whole rinko thang into the box. Bikes are not handled as regular baggage , and unless the handler is a real toad, should come though fine. When I returned from US recently (3 changes) the box was hardly scuffed and always came out on the special conveyour. It was even correctly positioned with my crudly drawn 'UP' arrow in the actual 'UP' position!

What I do for the prep is this:
1) I have the plastic spreaders for fork and rear stays, plus wheel guards handy.
2) Remove pedals and rear derailer. Pedals get strapped on the frame in plastic garbage bag. So does the rear derailer.
3) Slacken the brake cables and tape the levers down against the bars.
4) Flip the bars 90 degrees so they are aligned with top tube.
5) Strap the wheels onto each side of the frame. I use some scrap cardboard to prevent scratching the frame
6) Tape the spreaders to the fork and rear stays. I use, again, some scrap cardboard to make a little box around those critical ends.
7) Dump it into the 'any old' rinko bag. I used an Ostrich - but it doesn't matter - they're basically all the same.
8) Gaff tape the whole thing vertically and horizontally.

Packing stuff required:

1) Rinko Bag - which can fit easily on the bike.
2) Scraps of cardboard - salvaged anywhere.
3) Fork / Stay spreaders - get at any bike shop. I have hundreds of these, myself.
4) Wheel axle guards - same thing. Almost every wheelset is shipped with these.
5) Gaff tape - the small roll is nice - cause you'll use the whole thing and then throw away the core.
6) Optional Cardboard Box - UPS ($25) or Bikeshop (free)

4) Wheel axle guards - same thing. Almost every wheelset is shipped with these.
6) Optional Cardboard Box - UPS ($25) or Bikeshop (free)
Good recommendations, but let me ask:

• What are Wheel axle guards?
  • Standard Bikeshop boxes are usually too large to be transported with normal surcharge, you might fit in 2-3 Oestrich bags. Any recommendations on customizing these?

Wheel Axle guards are just those plastic 'mushrooms' which push into the axle (need to remove the quick release). So - on either side the axle there is about 8cm diameter plastic 'pancake' to add some further side impact protection.

What I found on airlines is pretty standard -

They either:

1) Charge an excess baggage fee for anything oversize (more than the typical size:

http://wikitravel.org/en/List_Of_Airline_Baggage_Limits

or -

2) They specifically allow 'sporting goods' 1 piece as checked baggage. This is what ANA allowed me, by the way, much to the chagrin of their 'code share' partner US Airway - who allow nothing - not even a glass of water without a surcharge.

Weight is not really an issue - most airlines allow up to 20kg or so for the checked bags.

My Ti bike w/ coupler is never an issue as checked bag. I just do the same as above and don't use cardboard box. They usually toss it into one of those plastic bins used for strollers and off it goes. If you're super concerned about the wheels, then I'd suggest just pack them separately and check them in. Between a bike bag with other stuff in it, and a wheelbag with stuff in it , should be plenty of room and weight allowance.

I always fly the cheapest possible - so I'm going by that. If your fares are biz class or higher , more allowance is provided.

Good recommendations, but let me ask:

• What are Wheel axle guards?
  • Standard Bikeshop boxes are usually too large to be transported with normal surcharge, you might fit in 2-3 Oestrich bags. Any recommendations on customizing these?

Back
Top Bottom