What's new

My First Bike Build pt1

macrophotofly

Maximum Pace
Aug 27, 2012
"Okay so I used build cars before now, how hard can a bike be?" Hmmm good question and one I am about to find out. I'm a complete NOOB at bike building, only going as far as cleaning my chain before and fitting the odd light/saddle.
And if you don't mind, I've decided to bring you all along for the ride.....

At the weekend I ordered all the parts as I knew my frame was arriving today. And here she is -
p1510340640-3.jpg

And there's a little secret that took me a while to negotiate direct from Boardman
p1510340700-2.jpg

Its the new 2013 Di frame which hasn't been officially released yet.

Here's my first challenge - the BB.
p1510342708-2.jpg

Its a BB30 and I need to
i) Find a LBS near me (Ichigaya/Shinjuku) with skilled chap to pay them to fit the bearings as I don't have a head press (any suggestions, please?)
ii) Work out if I need to the fit the Di2 wires before the bearings

Yeah, sort the Di2 cables out first!!!

Also, you will defo need to get someone to press the bearings in, preferably using some of that sticky Wakos grease that has just been released, on the cups, and waterproof grease on the bearings.

Don't get silly and attempt to whack it in yourself.

Its a BB30 and I need to
i) Find a LBS near me (Ichigaya/Shinjuku) with skilled chap to pay them to fit the bearings as I don't have a head press (any suggestions, please?)
ii) Work out if I need to the fit the Di2 wires before the bearings

The person that I most trust with BB30 is out in Chiba in the Matsudo area, Sato Shige-san of SpaceBikes. Perhaps a bit far, but he is an absolute top notch mechanic!

Yeah, defo go somewhere good like the place Pete said. Worth travelling to get it installed properly; stuff of this level and price needs to be handled by a mechanic who knows what s/he is doing.

OwenJames said:
Yeah, sort the Di2 cables out first!!!
Many Thanks Owen - that sorts out no.(ii). Also should have said I'll need to find an LBS with someone who speaks English better than I speak Japanese. ....And no you won't find me using a hammer and cut down saffolding pole to destroy my lovely bike - pure engineering all the way for me!

OwenJames said:
...preferably using some of that sticky Wakos grease that has just been released, on the cups.
Interesting I was thinking it would need some kind of Locktite on the outside edge of the bearing before pushing in?

Loctite, yeah, maybe. The last 3 BB30 installs I have had done, have all used Wakos sticky grease (not it's actual name; I will find the real name for you later), rather than Loctite. The grease is sticky to a level where it prevents things moving (it is basically impossible to get off your fingers once you touch it), but it is not a total bonding agent like Loctite, so when it comes to taking it out, you actually stand a fighting chance, and don't have to belt the BB with a hammer, whilst sobbing to yourself about the damage you are doing to your pride and joy.

Interesting I was thinking it would need some kind of Locktite on the outside edge of the bearing before pushing in?

Locktite is sometimes used for problem installations when the tolerances are off, but Shige-san has never used Locktite on mine. He actually uses a silicon grease, if I recall correctly, and I've never had any creaking or other issue with he BB.

Regardless of installation method, removing the bearings means destroying the bearings, FYI.

Locktite is sometimes used for problem installations when the tolerances are off, but Shige-san has never used Locktite on mine. He actually uses a silicon grease, if I recall correctly, and I've never had any creaking or other issue with he BB.

Yep, that is basically what the Wakos stuff is, but with added tackiness. Definitely the same school of thought.

I too have never had a single issue with any of the BB30 installs I have had, and I ride my bike like a total ****.

Definitely do NOT use loctite if its "regular" bb30 (which it looks like it is) where you press the bearings in directly, like Pete said, grease is the way to go. oh yeah, don't forget to put the sir clips in before you press the bearings.
If it's PF30 BB, (where you press in bearing cups) then Owens magic sauce (O_O) is amazing hehe.

I have a headset press now, but still missing the bb30 adapters for it, otherwise you would be welcome to borrow it.
But I agree with the previous speakers about getting a skilled mechanic doing it for you, but if you want to know about the process, check this video http://www.fullspeedahead.tv/video/7005870/installation-and-mainteinance

Right silicon grease it is

and thank you for the video...although it does tempt me to do it myself (providing I had the right tools!)

Anyone got any other suggestions of a slightly closer Bike shop that could insert the BB30?

I think Koowho is close to you. One of my buddies (Kuba) had his BB and headset installed by them. They seem knowledgable, are careful, and quick.

Hi, Koowho is in Ebara (Shinagawa ku), not that close to Ichigaya/Shinjuku...
But yes, I had my BB (BSA, not BB30) and headset installed over there.
They did the following:

*) Faced and rethreaded the frame to ensure the sides are parallel and that BB installs well.
*) Fixed one tiny scratch in the headset slot on the frame.
*) Cut the steere tube to the size I specified

I paid 8400 JPY total, and they did it all within 1 hour (it's 6 minutes away from my place, so I came back to pick the frame up just before closing).

When I picked it up, they showed me pictures documenting all the work that was done, threading, lubricating, cleaning, torque-wrencing etc.

Overall I was pretty impressed by what they did.

Setagaya - EFFECT he is the Pro Mechanic for Champion System Cannondale - Shige-san from space bike hired him.

Back
Top Bottom