What's new

Hard Travel Case, International.

kiwisimon

Maximum Pace
Dec 14, 2006
Here is a copy of an ad I posted in the classifieds.
Would appreciate any thoughts or ideas.

I bought this case about 4 years ago and have used it twice to fly internationally. It is a full size case that weighs approx 15kgs.Very secure and comes with combination lock and two keys. I never worry about locking it with the key and rely on the combination to deter opportunist thieves.

I propose to offer this up as a loaner case for TCC members on the condition that they make it available for any other member to use. Storage and advertisement of this offer are part of the terms of borrowing. Perhaps a long standing member(eek) could offer to store the case and be responsible for looking after it? I would but shipping costs would be more expensive. This case will not be mine after I send it to someone to use and will remain the property of TCC.

Comes with wheel covers.

Picture shows silver case but this is dark grey.

Japanese sales blurb. 自転車輪行 バイクハードケース .ライダーズカフェの販売物です。
*サイズ約117cm(横)x85cm(高さ)x35cm(幅)

I am in search of a cycle case to transport my fit gear. I would be happy to keep the case at my home in Nagano and let TCCers use it anytime. Let me know if that works and I could pick it up this Saturday.

I could pick it up this Saturday.

Works for me Chuck but I am in Aomori, Hachinohe to be exact, if you're up this way I'll take a fitting and give you a place to crash for the night, even a meal, but otherwise I can forward it to you.

I am in search of a cycle case to transport my fit gear. I would be happy to keep the case at my home in Nagano and let TCCers use it anytime.

This sounds like a good idea Chuck. Nagano is certainly closer to most TCC members than here.

I can make it up there, any chance you could get 2 more people to be fit? The expenses alone would be very high. If I could do a weekend with 3 bike fits I would be able to justify coming out that way. I need to study travel expense on your location first it may only take 2 fits.
The question is how do we let folks know we have a hard case for use? Classifieds?
I want to take after it either way.

Chuck

This is really cool. A hard travel case is something I have wanted to have on occasion, but it's too expensive to buy to use it once every few years. Very nice and generous offer!

I have two trico iron cases. From my experience with them, the foam needs to be replaced every so often and if you buy it from trico, it is not cheep. But worth it when it comes to worrying about my bikes.

The only thing I would suggest is that there is a small fund that when 'borrowed' members kick 1000Y toward? That way when it takes a beating, it is not up to one person to foot the bill to keep it in good condition.

Just my 2 yen.

I can make it up there, any chance you could get 2 more people to be fit? The expenses alone would be very high. If I could do a weekend with 3 bike fits I would be able to justify coming out that way. I need to study travel expense on your location first it may only take 2 fits.
The question is how do we let folks know we have a hard case for use? Classifieds?
I want to take after it either way.

Chuck

I was joking, no way would I expect you to come up and unfortunately I am a bit of a lone wolf so not much chance of a group fit. Send me your details and I'll find out how much shipping will cost.

Out of curiosity, how is a suitcase that size treated by the airlines? Did you ever pay any surcharges? I think most airlines these days have a size limit for checked in luggage of 62 linear inches = 157.5 cm (length + height + width), which this case would exceed.

Out of curiosity, how is a suitcase that size treated by the airlines? Did you ever pay any surcharges? I think most airlines these days have a size limit for checked in luggage of 62 linear inches = 157.5 cm (length + height + width), which this case would exceed.

Joe as the bike is sporting equipment there is no size restriction. (Windsurfers are limited). Weight limit is typically 23kgs although Americans get 25kgs cause they need more fat clothes than the rest of the developed world. Never had to pay for bikes and I have traveled with a heap. But it always pays to check the airlines website. This case is considered part of the allowable luggage on your ticket and any other bags you have to pay for but if you're lucky they may let you away with it. I travel with family and parcel out my stuff in the kids suitcases so I never pay extra. Odd they bill us for an extra 10kgs of clothes but Rex Lardarse that weighs over 150kgs doesn't have to pay more. I wish some airline would introduce tariffs based on passenger weight.

Depends on airline. One of the reasons I fly with Virgin is that you are allowed one piece of sporting equipment in addition to your normal luggage allowance free of charge. If its a bike they do not measure but it has to be under 23Kg. My immense bike box with bike, wheels, tools & helmet in came in 500grams under the allowance :)

Depends on airline. One of the reasons I fly with Virgin is that you are allowed one piece of sporting equipment in addition to your normal luggage allowance free of charge. If its a bike they do not measure but it has to be under 23Kg. My immense bike box with bike, wheels, tools & helmet in came in 500grams under the allowance :)

+1 for virgin, sports bag is in addition on any class.

Interesting and useful info, thanks.

Always looking for extra concrete info on airline policy for bikes.

It's also worth mentioning that for any travel you should probably get travel insurance.

For international travel, I always use World Nomads (www.worldnomads.com) which covers all sorts of activities. You can also insure specific things for certain amounts. i'm pretty sure I insured my bicycle ones but can't find more info on it just now. Even without that, there is at least some amount of coverage for luggage in general.....

I'll be using it from March 1st to March 30.

Feel free to use it after then.

Every airline is different, YMMV. But typically the cheap ones and most all US airlines will charge you for bicycle. If you have a codeshare with EU or JP airlines , that helps. Saved me about $300 coming back from the US with my bike. Nowadays I don't bother with hardcase or any case for that matter. If I 'rinko' my bike it's within the baggage size and my other bike is a coupler. I don't even bother to wrap it up. Just duct tape the halves together and give it to them. When I came back from TW recently, I rinko'd my roadbike the same as you would on a Shinkansen with a couple pieces of extra cardboard, then I took it to the Takyubin counter (can you believe it they had one?) And they 'strapped it' for about $5. No charge so far on China Air, EVA, Air China, China Eastern and Emeriates. On the otherhand, I sent a frame to a customer in Spore and they managed to crunch the rear dropout! How's that? They must have run the box into a container at full speed with a forklift .... hmm, yeah,,, seen that! I just hate having to deal with luggage at the other end!

Back
Top Bottom