What's new

Garmin Died in Rain

Garmin 705 Replacement Battery Order

I have a 705, and am going to order a replacement battery. Specifically this one.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/299.1.110060192710893036

I am going to the US next week, and will pick it up and bring back to Japan. I would be happy to bring a battery back for anyone who wanted to order one.

It seems there is not a problem to carry them in the airplane.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/li_battery_restrictions.html

So, if you would like to order a garmin 705 battery relatively inexpensively, (or other batteries) you could save on shipping. PM me by end of day Friday.

Note: I did not find a 500 battery on their site, so I don't think it helps Malte.

Not helping your problem, but like Joe, everything electronic gets saranwrapped before leaving the house.

When I first read this, instead of saran-wrap I started thinking "why not tegaderm?" but then started wondering how I'd get it off, or at least if it would come off okay.

When I first read this, instead of saran-wrap I started thinking "why not tegaderm?" but then started wondering how I'd get it off, or at least if it would come off okay.

Saran or tegaerm ... don't need to wonder, Owen is not leaving the house anyway (as I have read somewhere else) ;).

Malte, I see on Strava that you got a new Garmin. No luck reviving the old one then?

Malte, I see on Strava that you got a new Garmin. No luck reviving the old one then?

No, I haven't given up but ...

First I tried to get Isopropyl alcohol and went to TokyoHand but they just gave me a glance look when they saw that I opened the device and said something unqualified like: "Sore wa dame desu ne". I also tried my luck in Akihabara but similar comments from the shops that sell electronics (actually I am shocked about the decline of Akihabara - it has become nothing but a warehouse).

I found that I could order Isopropyl online for ~1000Yen (!1l) but have resisted so far.

The second plan was to send it in for warrantee (which would have taken quite some time and effort because of relay sending it over an Europe address) , but I lost the receipt. Still want to call Garmin Support for their advice but I don't expect much that's why I resisted so far :eek:.

So I tried to stick with the Iphone GPS (with external battery charger) for the time being but the charging problem got too annoying, also the data (mainly altitude) is very inaccurate and I missed the HR Monitor feedback very much.

... So I ordered a new Edge500 device :eek: and I am happy again :)

Garmin 705 Replacement Battery Order

I have a 705, and am going to order a replacement battery. Specifically this one.

http://www.batteryship.com/htmlos/htmlos.cgi/299.1.110060192710893036

I am going to the US next week, and will pick it up and bring back to Japan. I would be happy to bring a battery back for anyone who wanted to order one.

It seems there is not a problem to carry them in the airplane.
http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/li_battery_restrictions.html

So, if you would like to order a garmin 705 battery relatively inexpensively, (or other batteries) you could save on shipping. PM me by end of day Friday.

Note: I did not find a 500 battery on their site, so I don't think it helps Malte.

Just an update on this. I did get the replacement battery back in 2012 and swapped it into my Garmin without a hitch. The battery has been keeping a good charge with easily 10hrs of battery life, recording every second.

Yesterday while out on a ride the Garmin just died. Could not resurrect it on the ride, but when home, and plugged into the PC, I could access it fine. The battery would not hold a charge however.

Still had the mini tool kit, and actually the original Garmin battery. As I unscrewed the cover, there was a lot of pressure from inside. Turns out that the replacement battery was quite swollen, to about double the normal thickness. It had been glued on to the cover with a thick adhesive to keep it from rattling around. I was a bit nervous trying to peel the damaged battery off of the cover, but got it off without any leaks or fires.

New/old battery back in, and the unit is working fine again. Might order another replacement to pick up the next time I am back in the US.

Back
Top Bottom