What's new

2012 JCRC series stage 6 at Gunma CSC

joewein

Maximum Pace
Oct 25, 2011
Shintaro and I went to Gunma on the weekend. This was for his first race, JCRC series stage 6 at the Gunma Cycle Sports Centre (JCRCシリーズ第6戦群馬CSC). It was a good day. For the way home we took a scenic detour over the mountains towards Oze / Kegon Falls / Irohazaka / Nikko, where the autumn leaves had started to turn. The mountains were beautiful in the evening light with a crescent moon in the sky.

We drove up late at night on Saturday and slept in our car outside a conbini. Lots of cyclists were heading the same way, most by car but some by bike. It's a pretty good climb to Gunma CRC, which is up on a mountain. When the car park opened at 06:30 it already had a long queue of cars outside, but they seemed to have a fair amount of space, including a second car park.

Shintaro set up his bike and did test runs on the 6 km track when it opened at 07:00. I also did one loop on my Bike Friday before they closed it for the first race. We met Eric (EricinIkebukuro) and James (FarEast) who were also racing that day. Both gave valuable advice to Shintaro for what was to be his first race. Eric adjusted the derailleurs on Shintaro's bike. He also discovered the large chain ring on Shintaro's (2nd hand) bike was bent, probably from some crash and will need replacing, so it was not possible to do a perfect setup.

Thank you, Eric!

Shintaro did OK in the race. He finished without accident. Despite lost time from a dropped chain (perhaps due to the chainring problem or because of a worn chain) he managed to catch up enough again to come in 23rd out of 46 starters in category X.

Later we watched the start of James and Eric in their respective categories and cheered them on. We walked along the course to watch the racers zoom past at various climbs and corners (I got some video too).

Eric and James:

IMG_3760.JPG

Eric with Shintaro's bike and Shintaro after the race:

IMG_3775.JPG

Eric preparing for his race:

IMG_3781.JPG

Eric lining up for the start:

IMG_3789.JPG

I was glad none of us needed "Fast Aid", though there were crashes that day and at least one ambulance was needed:

IMG_3804.JPG

Last edited:
Great write up! next time make sure Shintaro stops by the shop so we can make sure he's race prepped! (includnig a jersey)

Eric lining up for the start:

IMG_3789.JPG

Congrats on Kentaro's first race...

Just curious, what's with the helmet cover numbers? Helmet manufacturers designs the holes to provide the best compromise of protection and air flow. With these covers, aren't the racers complaining of hot spots in head?

Shouldn't the organizers design these covers with nets on the front and back with the normal materials and numbers on the sides?

I have a rain helmet cover and wouldn't want to use it when it is not raining as the head get's hot very quickly.

LOL - the argument is though is that they give you an extra 3w of power.

But honestly the fabric is very thin and the air still flows through them - the reason why they use helmet covers and not race numbers is because the JCRC organisers are an NPO and the covers are so they can use them over and over again rather than waste resources on the cost of making race numbers for every race.

I came 10th in the chasing group - we let the others escape as they had no position in the GC.

Myself and Andy Wood basically controlled the chase group and prevented anyone else from escaping. We actually marked the wrong rider which lead to a very exciting game of cat and mouse and which resulted in a stupidly high pace 120km, 2500m climbing in 3 hours 20 minutes.

It also resulted in my main rival in the GC droping of the back of the peloton and being awarded a DNF - So it looks like I have secured the 2012 JCRC Championships.

We have a final race this Sunday at Saiko in Yamanashi and then its all over.

This year only 8 races - normally there are 11 or 12. - had a very busy season with JCRC, JBCF, JCF and a few independant races. In fact I would say I've been racing pretty much every weekend this season and its not over yet....Saiko this weekend, Nobeyama CX next and then several more CX events.

Well done that man!

Far East congratulations for a great achievement!

"So it looks like I have secured the 2012 JCRC Championships."

Yes, well done. I thought it was going to be harder for you this time around but looks like your rivals didn't put up as big a fight.

Well it seems like it's official with the officials now as I received call from the JCRC asking what size Jersey I needed.

As for a fight - They did, tooth and nail and it all came down to Gunma and as 2nd place in the GC didn't finish that was it.

I'm still going to be racing to win at Saiko, however Anchor Bridgestone who is sponsored by Nikkan Sports will shut down any attacks and also set a stupidly high pace at the front to control the peloton.

The plan is to keep at the front, mark thier Ace and then go with him in the sprint for the line.

A great accomplishment. Congratulations!:thumb:

wow it sounds like you're a pro man. It really has been a good year for British cycling even in Japanese events!

Good luck, James! Kick their butts!

Well it seems like it's official with the officials now as I received call from the JCRC asking what size Jersey I needed.

As for a fight - They did, tooth and nail and it all came down to Gunma and as 2nd place in the GC didn't finish that was it.

I'm still going to be racing to win at Saiko, however Anchor Bridgestone who is sponsored by Nikkan Sports will shut down any attacks and also set a stupidly high pace at the front to control the peloton.

The plan is to keep at the front, mark thier Ace and then go with him in the sprint for the line.

James, we may see you at Saiko. Shintaro will try out the course on Saturday and race in E1 on Sunday morning. Hopefully it won't be raining, right now the forecast says 40% chance...

Congratulations James!

Never knew you were racing against our teammate 古屋 穂高 (2nd placer in GC) racing under team つねさぶらうRC in JCRC but team Fast Lane in the JBCF..

http://www.jcrc-net.jp/2012k/point12/12sp61.html

Good Luck on Sunday!

Back
Top Bottom