What's new

KT2 - Atami loop!

WhiteGiant

Maximum Pace
Nov 4, 2006
In case you're wondering, "KT" stands for "Kusatsu Training".
Last weeks ride in Chiba could have been called "KT1".

This weekend though, the general consensus was to keep things closer to the westerly region (ie. It wouldn't be fair to make everyone come out east two weeks in a row - for Tsukuba-san, for example).

Anyway, this weekend - Sunday, February 24.

Very simple course;
http://www.mapmyrun.com/run/japan/yokohama-(kanagawa-ken)/118458688
We start at Yokohama at 8:30, and arrive at Odawara at 11:00.
Anyone wishing to start from Odawara should be there by then.
From Odawara, we'll head down the coastal road to Atami - We WON'T take the toll-road! I've been on both, and although the toll-road is quicker, and more direct, the inland route offers way more ups & downs, and has much better scenery.
Once at Atami, we should have a short break before we start the serious stuff around 1pm... It's about 1.5km to the next station, "Kinomiya", from where we'll start climbing up towards Atami-toge (620m).

>Mike: In your map, there are two (almost parallel) roads heading northwest - one to the north that goes alongside a golf-course; and the other to the south, that goes up to the long tunnel. We'll be taking the "south/tunnel" road.

Instead of turning left, through the tunnels though, we'll turn right and head north on Rte.20 up to Ashino-ko (lake).

After the lake, it's (almost) a straight run down to Odawara via "Pucci's road" - A few ups & downs along the way though:cool:
From there it's flat all the way back to Yokohama/Tokyo.

So far, four people; Thomas, Chazzer, Mike, and Travis have expressed interest.
Anyone else?

Permission Granted

Ah, here we go again - poeple using my roads without permission. :gun:

Oh well, permission granted. I gotta look after the kids this weekend, so no riding. Curious to hear what the snow situation is at those altitudes, though...

The weekend after we must ride for sure.

Looks like a great ride...but a working weekend for me this week. :(
Hopefully catch the next one. Enjoy!

Looks great, but just need to make sure I can rearrange my Sunday plans for Saturday. Hope to have fully recovered from KT1 by then ... Ben

Got the map going, the problem was with my mac. So I'll meet you at the junction where R30 meets R134. What time do you think you'll be heading past this point Travis?

Times & places!

I'll meet you at the junction where R30 meets R134. What time do you think you'll be heading past this point Travis?

Hey Mike, if we leave Yokohama right on 8:30, we should hit the coast road (Rte.134) at about 9:45 where it comes out from Rte.30.
See you there, eh! T

>Pucci: Thanks for permission to use "your" road:D!
As I've only done it twice (with you navigating), I hope I can remember all the bends & turn-offs! Cheers!

>Ben: Have you got those weekend plans sorted out? If so, will you be starting from "Yokohama" at 8:30, or "Odawara" at 11:00?
Let us know, eh!

>Charles: See you at Odawara at 11:00 - We'll roll out from there at 11:30. T

>Dave (Truffs): Thomas & I can pick you up just past Shinagawa a little after 6:30 - We'll be on Rte.15. Does that work for you?

>Thomas: Same as usual, I'll see you at 6:00am on the corner of Meiji-dori & Shin-Ohashi-dori - Straight down to Yokohama from there!:bike::bike:

>Travis: You won't "Rock" like Deej... but just make sure you set your alarm-clock!!!

See you all on Sunday morning:cool:

>Thomas: Same as usual, I'll see you at 6:00am on the corner of Meiji-dori & Shin-Ohashi-dori - Straight down to Yokohama from there!

Roger, Sir! We shall be waiting at the corner - polished and pumped up. Looking forward to the ride.

>Travis: You won't "Rock" like Deej... but just make sure you set your alarm-clock!!!

Guess it is my turn to wake the team-leader by keitai this time. :)

Tough call

I would really like to join this one, but I may have to opt for a shorter Saturday ride due to scheduling conflicts.

If I can make it, I'll post a heads-up on Saturday evening. Otherwise, have an excellent time!

Deej

Greetings Yellow Giant. I am a confirmed starter. Think I'll have to start at Yokohama - I can only put off the pain for so long! (Will pack my Vegemite sangers. They can cure anything.) Looks like the start is at Yokohama Station (presume it's JR Yokohama?), but imagine that's pretty big. What particular part of Yokohama Station are we going to meet at... or is it all pretty obvious when you get there? B

Maiden TCC Ride at last! !

Hello All,

This is Gus from Odawara.
I've been reading with interest TCC in Australia for a couple of years… and finally now I'm living in Odawara.
I've wanted to join you on a ride but due to my inability to navigate the Tokyo rail with any great accuracy I've just been tooling around in the hills on Izu…
It sounds like KT2 is going to be my maiden ride. I'm tempted to ride up to Yokohama to meet you so I can knock the edge of my highly honed legs...(not!)
From the route plan I see you are going to take Route 1 then Route 30, so I will head up that way and try to be in Yokahama to start with you.
If I'm running late I'll try to hook up with you on the way through…Just keep you eye out for a flashing helmet light going like stink in a northerly direction !

Looking forward to the ride
Gus

Aussie take-over?

Hey Gus, welcome to the club (literally)!
Instead of you riding all the way out to Yokohama (only to have to ride all the way back again), we could meet you halfway at R134 & R30, where Mike will be waiting at 9:45. It just seems more logical.

When we see you there, that'll make you the fourth Australian out of a group of 7 - not bad, eh! (The others being "Austrian", "American" and "British").
You, Mike, Ben & myself can talk about "Home & Away", "Kylie" and "Schooners of VB", etc.... Joking! We'll probably just stick to the usual banter of which tyres you're rolling on, and how many teeth in your rear-cassette;)

Anyway, look forward to meeting, and riding with you!
Travis

>Dave (Truffs): Thomas & I can pick you up just past Shinagawa a little after 6:30 - We'll be on Rte.15. Does that work for you?

How is next to Kita-Shinagawa station (Keihin Kyuko line; red trains). It's 1.5K past the
East entrance of JR Shinagawa, just after you cross over the tracks on Rt 15. I believe
it's where I turned off and said goodbye coming back from Miura. If that's in the least
unclear, it would be no problemo for me to pedal up to JR Shinagawa. In either case,
I'll be there at 6:30 am.

David

OK, Dave!

How is next to Kita-Shinagawa station (Keihin Kyuko line; red trains). It's 1.5K past the
East entrance of JR Shinagawa, just after you cross over the tracks on Rt 15. I believe
it's where I turned off and said goodbye coming back from Miura. If that's in the least
unclear, it would be no problemo for me to pedal up to JR Shinagawa. In either case,
I'll be there at 6:30 am.

David

I remember the turn-off. See you there, maybe closer to 6:40!
T

Thought it was today!@^%$#@#!!!!!

Well, there I was waiting at 9.45 at R134/R30 junction and thought I'd give Thomas a call to see how long I'd be waiting for you guys to arrive. Turns out I would've been waiting 24 hours!

For some unknown reason I forgot to check the day, as I just presumed it hadn't changed and was still scheduled for Saturday, as originally planned.
Oh well, with a few sighs, head shakes and curses at my self for ONCE AGAIN being so foolish, I decided to make the most of the weather and headed for Misaki Peninsula. With a slight head wind I was able to cruise at an average of 30km/h while enjoying the coastline to my right.

I made it as far as Sajima, had a bit a of a look around the Marina and a snack for my return. Just as I was finishing my soy bar (what a treat they are) all hell broke loose with the weather. The breeze turned into a what seemed like a typhoon in less than five minutes. I quickly saddled up and made my way back to R134. Before long I was battling the elements in what I have to say are possibly the scariest condition I've ever ridden in. The wind must have been gusting over 30 knots and it was becoming increasingly difficult to keep my line. On such a narrow road with trucks wizzing by and sand blasting in my face it was without doubt a horrific ride! Once I was back inland thing improved significantly but instead of sand I was getting blasted by top soil off nearby fields.

OH WHY OH WHY DID I NOT READ THE POSTS PROPERLY!!!!

Will probably not ride tomorrow because after that ride I've had enough for this weekend. I'm thinking off taking up windsurfing again, as it looked so fun in those conditions. Have a good ride gentlemen!

Bad Luck !

and easily done !

Whatever it was that you were riding through has just blown through Tokyo btw. Sitting in my office today on the 21st floor (don't ask !) and the cloud cover closed right in, the wind really picked up and it all of the distant building views disappeared. Ten minutes later and it was back to normal. Very bizarre !:(

Route 30 / 134

Travis,

I think your suggestion is what I'll end up doing. I've had a relality check and I'll meet you at Route 30 / 134. I just got over excited about being able to ride with someone that speaks English.

Hey, the wind today was something else...!
I was thinking how lucky it was that the KT2 loop wasn't today, then I read Mikes ordeal. Character building stuff hey Mike.

By the look of the synoptic situation we could be in for a quick run down the coast! Lets hope it blows itself out for the return run...

I'll make sure I'm onsite by 9.30 to allow for the tail wind.

Later, Gus

Still on!

>Mike: That really sucks about the day mix-up!
BUT, If you can make it tomorrow - even just for the ride out to Odawara, I reckon everyone will be glad to see you. T

>Gus: If Mike can't make it, you'll have to wait for us at "R30" & "R134" by yourself. We'll be there on schedule at 9:45. See you then!

>Everyone else, OK?
Thomas at 6:00 - You know where!
David at 6:40 - Just south of Shinagawa.
Ben at 8:00 - Yokohama station.
Charles at 11:00 - Odawara station.

Optimistically, if the wind blows anything like the way I ride, it will start off really hard, and die out by the end of the day. Hence, as the wind was blowing so hard today, by tomorrow there won't even be a hint of a breeze!...
I hope:eek:uch:
Off to bed now! See you all tomorrow.
Travis

Great day/night!

Another gem of a cycle. A few photos can be viewed at http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=18960&l=e21c5&id=521998526

(Sorry ... am still struggling a bit with the technology!)

Travis, "maximum respect" for dragging me all the way from Odawara to Yokohama along Route 1 in the pitch dark. And thanks for organising a great day.

Thomas, once again, the standard setter up the hills and nice pose for the pizza photo!

David - sorry about the prang. Hope your trusty steed can be repaired.

Charles - great to see you again. Look forward to the data on the climbs and hope you got to your appointment on time.

Gus - very nice to meet you. Hope all goes well in the Gold Coast and look forward to seeing you in September.

Ben

Back
Top Bottom