What's new

Re: Thomas' Itinerary

Michel Angelo

Warming-Up
Jan 14, 2006
Dear thomas,

Riding bicycle through downtown area is not a kind of exciting but of awful establishment for me considering you have constantly attained maximum speed of around forties kilometer per hour. I admire your courage for competing with gigantic convoys.
One of the worst roads to run by bicycle, I think, is Kanjo Hachigosen (Loop 8). Because the width of the road is rather narrow and jammed. So, you should refrain from taking your root through this road and switch to others.

Anyway friends, please take care and big fun with your bike, thank you.:bike:

airtrain

Hi airtran,

thanks for your reply. By the way, I hope you don't mind if I have moved your post to a new thread.

Riding bicycle through downtown area is not a kind of exciting but of awful establishment for me considering you have constantly attained maximum speed of around forties kilometer per hour. I admire your courage for competing with gigantic convoys.

Yes, I agree with you. However, I have never had any really bad experiences with drivers. Japanese motorists are generally very considerate and friendly compared to their European counterparts. The only thing I find a bit challenging about traffic in Tokyo are traffic lights forcing cars (and cyclists alike) into a nerve-wrecking stop-and-go rhythm.

I have expanded on my (early) bicycle experiences in Tokyo here. It is a bit sarcastic, so please don't take it too serious. :)

Oh, and 40km/h is the max speed I attain downhill with tailwind. :warau:

fantastic cycling in Tokyo

Hi tomas,

Thank you for referring to my description, and I am glad you like it.
No matter what administrative idea to activate our TCC BBC you'll have, I would not mind. Relax!

To some extent, I agree with your observation in "Cycling in Tokyo".

>While Japanese traffic regulations stipulate to drive on the left side of the road, the same does not appear to apply to traffic on pavements. Passing oncoming bicycles can sometimes turn into some sort of Russian roulette.

To me too, this manner of Mama-chari cyclists scar me too often. What would be
the solution for this? Campaigning? Do you want to pursue to accomplish regulation? Haha….:bike:

airtrain

Yes I have that same Cateye Cyclocomputer that I bought here on the island for $25.99! Very good computer, now go get your mileage up! LOL

thomas said:
Having finally acquired a bicycle computer, I would like to use this thread to save my daily/weekly performance on my Focus bike.

Disclaimer: This thread is meant to be strictly personal. We take no responsibility for any damage incurred on curious readers. :p

5mc100w_slv_s.jpg

PS: please post any remarks to this topic.

Freeride39 said:
Very good computer, now go get your mileage up! LOL

Hey, waiting for you to catch my dust... :p

Seriously though, I hope you'll join our Fuji Climb in September. :)

I think I missed my Fuiji climb dates, right?

thomas said:
Hey, waiting for you to catch my dust... :p

Seriously though, I hope you'll join our Fuji Climb in September. :)

you've changed the forum?

G'day Thomas,

You've done some pretty cool rides. How hard is it to try and do a ride with an av sp over 30kph :mad: :mad: . With all the stopping over here it's alomst near impossible.
I went over my polar graph from last Sundays 6hr ride and there was over 47stops I made due to lights. it crazy. Even riding Arakawa river you still have those bike obstacles to get through.

Paul

G'day Thomas,

You've done some pretty cool rides. How hard is it to try and do a ride with an av sp over 30kph. With all the stopping over here it's alomst near impossible. I went over my polar graph from last Sundays 6hr ride and there was over 47stops I made due to lights. it crazy. Even riding Arakawa river you still have those bike obstacles to get through.

Hi Paul,

I commute down into Kanagawa almost every weekday using Routes 1 or 15. I have never attained an average speed exceeding 28kph. The average ride takes about 1:20hrs, red lights account for at least 25mins (these are what I call the "unavoidable" signals). Knowing the traffic light sequences helps a bit though. It's actually funny to see that even the omawari-san (koban police) patrolling on their bicycles run the red lights quite frequently. The inflationary and ubiquitous implementation of signals contributes IMHO to the poor traffic discipline so common on Japanese roads.

Bike Commuting

Hi Paul,

I commute down into Kanagawa almost every weekday using Routes 1 or 15. I have never attained an average speed exceeding 28kph. The average ride takes about 1:20hrs, red lights account for at least 25mins (these are what I call the "unavoidable" signals). Knowing the traffic light sequences helps a bit though. It's actually funny to see that even the omawari-san (koban police) patrolling on their bicycles run the red lights quite frequently. The inflationary and ubiquitous implementation of signals contributes IMHO to the poor traffic discipline so common on Japanese roads.

I will start commuting once a week or so soon - Yokohama to Yokosuka on routes 40 and 16. With my work schedule, I have had little time for any sort of exercise other than much walking and climbing numerous flights of vertical and inclined ladders. I figure I walk some 15-20kms per day. I also ride a bike about 2 kms per day from office to ship and back (2 times per day = 2kms).

I will start commuting once a week or so soon - Yokohama to Yokosuka on routes 40 and 16. With my work schedule, I have had little time for any sort of exercise other than much walking and climbing numerous flights of vertical and inclined ladders. I figure I walk some 15-20kms per day. I also ride a bike about 2 kms per day from office to ship and back (2 times per day = 2kms).

I commute home on my bike from NAF Atsugi to CFAY. Its a great feeling after sitting for so long!

Hopefully this rain lets up...

Good on ya Thomas...awesome mileage.

Yearly figures are in!

Since March 19, last year until March 18 this year, my grand total was:
10,806km.
I took the first photo on a ride around Izu-hanto in March, 2006 - I got lucky, and noticed that my odometer was about to click over to 4,000.0km, so I asked the guys to stop while I took a picture.
The second photo was taken when I picked my bike up from the shop two weeks ago - exactly a year after the first photo (Note: There's no decimal point in the second shot): 14,806km.

But I reckon Thomas is still the over-all winner on kilometers - He does at least 1,000km per month.

Commuting - IF I ride everyday (which is not very often, due to rain, laziness and hangovers:( ):
Monday: Shibamata - Urawa - Tokyo (station) - Shibamata: 70km.
Tuesday: Shibamata - Kita-Senju - Urawa - Higashi-Nakano - Shibamata: 75km.
Wednesday: Shibamata - Kita-Ayase - Shibamata (for lunch) - Kinshicho - Tokyo - Shibamata: 50km.
Thursday: Shibamata - Kashiwa - Shibamata: 40km.
Friday: Shibamata - Akasaka-Mitsuke - Shibamata - Kinshicho - Shibamata: 60km.
WEEKLY TOTAL: 295km.
But as I said, I usually only do about three days a week; Sometimes only 2. Sometimes 4. So only about 150-200km.
But then, there's nearly always a weekend ride, so that makes up for it! T
Here's the pics:

Total distance in December 2007: 1.481,59 km
Total distance in 2007: 20.691,52 km[/QUOTE]

Wow! That puts my 5000 km for 2007 into perspective!:eek:

Total distance in December 2007: 1.481,59 km
Total distance in 2007: 20.691,52 km

Wow! That puts my 5000 km for 2007 into perspective!:eek:
Yes, my 6500km for the year (half what I wanted) is nothing...
Thomas is a superman...(and a good planner).
My excuse is always family/dogs to walk/work/ etc but I'm sure Thomas has just as many commitments and doesn't use excuses like me not to ride.
(I haven't even been for a ride this year yet....) :(

Amazing. Be careful Thomas one day they may need to surgically remove your bicycle. My best month so far this year was just under 900km. Remove this post if it upsets the flow of your records. :)

Back
Top Bottom