What's new

Official Ride Tour de Kusatsu 2009

Kusatsu Report

Just a few words about the Tour de Kusatsu hillclimb race...

The night before the race we had a huge dinner in the Minshuku - it didn't look like that much food, but afterwards we were all completely stuffed, especialy after eating the birthday cake that Naomi-san made for Thomas and Shinobu-san. We entertained ourselves by reading the wild & wacky names of some of the racing teams; my personal favourite being "Team Banana of JoyToy" :)
We went for a quick wander around the centre of Kusatsu where the hot, sulphurous water rises from the rocks and is cooled for use in the many onsen. However, the evening air was freezing cold so we quickly retreated back to our accommodation.

The next morning we were all awake fairly early, the minshuku provided us with breakfast and after some hanging around we all rode together up to the stating area. Here were over 2000 racers, all lined up in the staging area. It was quite a sight! After a (very) long set of speeches by the organisers, we finally set off on the parade lap through the town. It seemed like the whole town had come out to see the race; there were shopkeepers, schoolchildren waving flags, tourists, marshalls, etc, all lining the route and waving.

After the parade lap I was still not feeling properly warmed up - after all, it was only 6km at a very gentle pace. The staging area where we had lined up was now completely empty, and followed the slope of the hill. So, instead of taking off up the hill, I did 5 or 6 circuits of this area, sprinting up from one end to the other, and rolling back down. Once I felt my legs respond as they should, I turned and headed up onto the race course, making sure that as I crossed the line I was already up to full hillclimb speed.
The rest of the riders were spread fairly thinly across the road by this time, so I was never balked or slowed by being stuck behind anybody. Fairly early on in the race I spotted a racer in a Trek jersey who looked to be going about the same pace as me, although he seemed to be speeding up and slowing down more, especially at the corners where I would reel him in by a few metres every time. I chased this racer for over 5 km, eventually overtaking him around the inside of one of the steeper hairpins. I expect him to grab my wheel but he must have been more fatigued than me because he dropped back rapidly. We had been passing a few of the TCC crew who had started earlier than me; I tried to give a shout (or at least a gasp) of encouragement to each. About 2/3rds of the way up, I caught sight of Thomas, pounding his big gear up the climb. Just then, a rider whose jersey informed me that "Not failing, but low aim is a Crime" passed me, out of the saddle and looking strong. But again, he must have been trying super hard because I caught him again and dropped him. By now I was towards the top; I remember at one point seeing four or five hairpins in front of me and having to dig very deep to keep turning the pedals.
I passed the "3km to go" marker board with 30 minutes on the clock, and realised I had to pick up the pace to beat my target time of 40 minutes. I knew the last 1.5km was not as steep so I pushed as hard as I dared, and by the time I passed the "2km to go" marker I was back on target. The gradient was levelling off more and more, and so I was consciously speeding up to shave some more seconds from my time. Past the 1km marker I went, now doing well over 20 km/h and soon had the goal in sight. A final sprint took me over the finish line where a beep from the timing transponder let me know I could rest at last.

My time was 39 minutes 16 seconds, beating the target I had set myself and enough for 14th out of about 650 riders in my class :D

The rest of the TCC team did very well too, Naomi-san of course with her 5th place and many personal best times from riders who had competed in previous years.

Thank you All !

皆さんおつかれさまでした。
Soraさん、いつもありがとうございます。宿の手配やら諸々。
今年は少し人数は少なかったけど、天気も良くて最高でした。
一応、去年より3分縮めたし:p

それより、Naomiさん!やったね!おめでとう!
やっぱり凄いよ!!:beer:来年に向けて頑張ろう!
(なんて、今はそんな気分だけど、すぐ忘れちゃうんだよね・・・)

Nobuさんトラさん、上野駅まで来てくれてありがとう!
来年は一緒に行きたいな:)
Araiさん、駅まで送ってもらい、ありがとうございました。

では、Thanks All &See you next tour:D

Bravo Kusatsu!

First of all, thanks everyone!!!!!!

It was an unforgettable day!
The weather was just perfect for the race and the view from the top of Mt Shirane was marvellous. And Onsen, hospitality of Kojimaya;Minshuku :)

However, the best thing for me this time was to be able to beat 50mins (49minutes 54seconds) that I had wished before the race. Actually, I have had left-knee trouble, so I realized that it might be impossible to achieve my target:eek:uch:....But I made it:)

Naomi

First of all, thanks everyone!!!!!!

It was an unforgettable day!
The weather was just perfect for the race and the view from the top of Mt Shirane was marvellous. And Onsen, hospitality of Kojimaya;Minshuku :)

However, the best thing for me this time was to be able to beat 50mins (49minutes 54seconds) that I had wished before the race. Actually, I have had left-knee trouble, so I realized that it might be impossible to achieve my target:eek:uch:....But I made it:)

Naomi

Naomi-san

Big congratulation to you. You are Sugoine. I admire you!

I have not seen my formal record but am sure I myself was able to hit my personal record, under 1 hour :) This is the achievement after the three challenges.

Let' challenge again next year:bike::bike:

Minoru Arai

Bravo TCC climbers!

All of you Kusatsu warriors, well done and thanks for representing our club!

Alan, thanks for the report and congratulations on a suberb perforformance.

Naomi-san -- Wow! Great job...again.

Deej

Sora-san, thanks for your organisation, smooth as usual. Alan, thanks for the report, you shall henceforth be TCC's official chronicler. :p

Congratulations to Naomi-san and Alan for their outstanding performance, but also to the other TCC members who were able to beat their previous records (Sergey by six minutes; I am happy I could shave off two minutes from last year scoring 46'07).

And Naomi-san, your birthday cake was ambrosial! Thank you so much. :D

I love this pic:

I have to tell you all about my result...
It was 6th place, NOT 5th place:warau:
I was called by the staff of Tour de Kusatsu this evening....

Wiil try to get 5th place ( or higher??) next year:cool:

Naomi

I have to tell you all about my result...
It was 6th place, NOT 5th place:warau:
I was called by the staff of Tour de Kusatsu this evening....

Wiil try to get 5th place ( or higher??) next year:cool:

Naomi
では来年は5位以上でお願いします。:cool:

みんな、ありがとねぇ~!

Back
Top Bottom