What's new

Okumusashi Madness

Deej

Maximum Pace
Oct 13, 2007
The renowned Okumusashi Madness route is on tap for this Saturday (Aug. 8).

Here's a map of the route.

Be warned: This is not an easy ride, and the heat will make it even harder. :D There is lots of climbing, and one of the hills -- Kaburi-toge -- has the potential to break your spirit. It'll be awesome!

I'm thinking early is better (sorry eastsiders :(): 9:00 a.m. roll-out from the Higashi-Ome 7-11. End point is also Higashi-Ome, for a total distance of about 135km. Round trip from my house in Setagaya is about 230km.

(Higashi-Ome may present a problem for those taking the train out, as there were no lockers there last time I checked. However, the next stop down -- Ome -- does have lockers, so people can get off there and ride the kilometer or so back to Higashi-Ome). So far, those who have expressed interest are all riding out, thus the selection of Higashi-Ome as the meeting point.

Posts from previous rides are here, here and here (the original, ill-fated ride).

Who's ready for an adventure?

Deej

Deej,

I assume we plan to depart Higashi-Ome 7/11 at 09:00am (because this is a time consuming ride).

If yes, Clay and I can meet you at Tamasuidobashi at 07:00am allowing 1:30hrs to reach Higashi-Ome and 30mins for breakfast?

You riding from your place Philip?

Clay, I will meet you at our usual meeting point at 06:30am (assuming Deej concurs with above).

Cheers,

Philip

I assume we plan to depart Higashi-Ome 7/11 at 09:00am (because this is a time consuming ride).

That's correct. We'll need lots of time for this. And, I want to be home in time to watch a soccer game on TV. :)

Let's ride out together -- shall I meet you guys where the cycling road starts? Also, what time?

Deej

Madness? I did almost the exact loop two weeks ago (when I went out with Tom and Greg, but continued without them beyond Shiraishi Toge) and didn't find it that hard.:D I think I will try out something different this weekend, maybe going to Nagano-ken.

May I recommend a few minor variations that may make the loop even more interesting:

- On the way out, instead of going over Yamabushi Toge and Shomaru Toge, go over Amamesasu Toge (route 395). That's just 20 meters lower than Yamabushi Toge and saves you taking the same pass twice. It is also a nice climb up in a forest and a lovely descent on the other side.

- Instead of taking the short-cut between Sadamine Toge and Nihonki Toge, do the manly thing and descent into the valley, then take up the small road that takes you back onto that short-cut. It's a very nice climb. Alternatively, take route 361 up.

- On the way back, avoid going through the tunnel by climbing up route 53 to Yamabushi Toge. If you are desperate to see Shomaru Toge, take a small detour shortly before reaching the pass (and come back the same way).

- Close to Ome, instead of route 193, you can also continue on route 53 (Nariki valley). It's a slight detour, but through nice landscape, and pretty evenly downhill.

Have fun! Ludwig

Madness? I ... didn't find it that hard.:D

Well, anything's easy if you go slow enough. :p

Thanks for the suggestions. Good stuff. I had already planned to avoid the last tunnel -- the map is simply a little outdated. I also had considered trying the route 395 climb. Not sure if we'll try it this time, though.

Deej

Let's ride out together -- shall I meet you guys where the cycling road starts? Also, what time?

Deej

Philip & Clay meet 06:30 @ Komazawa Daigaku eki

Deej meets Philip & Clay 07:00 @ Tamasuidobashi (up river where the cycling road starts)

Tom meets Deej, Philip & Clay 07:30 @ Sekidobashi

Tom, Deej, Philip & Clay meet the other slackers 08:30-09:00 @ Higashi-Ome 7/11

Don't forget to shave :)

Shoot !

Tom meets Deej, Philip & Clay 07:30 @ Sekidobashi...

...I just remembered that this Saturday is the last day before my daughters are leaving Japan :eek: I'm very sorry but this event deserves priority so I am going to spend most of the day with them...:abduct:

From next week onward, I will be able to join any ride with you guys! I was thinking about Yanagisawa-toge combined with Kamihikawa-toge (Daibosatsu) and Sasago-toge...how about this mighty route for next Saturday?

> Philip & Clay meet 06:30 @ Komazawa Daigaku eki

Sounds good, see you there, freshly shaven like a monkey ready to be shot into orbit.

Hi mad men,

I've returned from a short exploration tour in Chichibu today - and I recommend you to try Arima-toge - very beautiful scenic road with no traffic and quite a nice and long climb (upto 1100 m.)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/saitama/114124942909117600

Also, check out the pictures in the gallery.

Although, I must say it's a hard climb and is probably worthy of a separate adventure :cool:

Hi mad men,

I've returned from a short exploration tour in Chichibu today - and I recommend you to try Arima-toge - very beautiful scenic road with no traffic and quite a nice and long climb (upto 1100 m.)

http://www.mapmyride.com/ride/japan/saitama/114124942909117600

Also, check out the pictures in the gallery.

Although, I must say it's a hard climb and is probably worthy of a separate adventure :cool:

Sergey

Thank you for this info. I was going to do this loop this Sunday. But in the opposite direction. Heavy traffic in 299 is too dangerous to ride up in the afternoon. I would like to pass through this portion in the early morning.

Minoru Arai

Hey Sergey,

That is a fantastic, lonely route, eh ! Me and Lee did that a few months ago, the same south-north direction you did. Some stunning views from the pass... could even faintly see Shinjuku in the distance. Bit of a rough road, though and the downhill was more like the north side of Ootoge with rocks and branches and stuff... has that been cleared away ??

Bears are seen on that road in early Spring, so the locals say (and I remember the signs well, because the first time I climbed it, in March, I got my first puncture in three years. Oh yes, a lonely lonely road...)

Cheers
Steve

araim1 said:
Thank you for this info. I was going to do this loop this Sunday. But in the opposite direction. Heavy traffic in 299 is too dangerous to ride up in the afternoon. I would like to pass through this portion in the early morning.
No problem, Arai-san, but as Steve said, you should be careful on the descend - Ome side of the pass is steeper and there are some bumpy spots on the road.

SteveT said:
That is a fantastic, lonely route, eh ! Me and Lee did that a few months ago, the same south-north direction you did. Some stunning views from the pass... could even faintly see Shinjuku in the distance. Bit of a rough road, though and the downhill was more like the north side of Ootoge with rocks and branches and stuff... has that been cleared away ??
And here I thought I was the first man ever to ride over that pass :rolleyes:
The Chichibu side of the road was very clean, the only serious obstacles on the descend were the gratings (one of which gave me a snakebite, btw). On Ome side - there are some rough spots. So the south-north direction is the better choice.

I guess the Saturday's route will be left unchanged, so sorry for hijacking, Deej. But Arima pass could be a nice little option when going from Ome to Chichibu next time :)

Please count me in as well. Even though it looks as if I shall have to assume the role of the lanterne rouge among so many hardcore adrenaline junkies. :warau:

meeting

Hey Fellas,
I've had a look at the map, and I think it'll be easier if I go up the Arakawa and cut across to Higashi Ome (saves me getting on the train to get clear of the traffic.)
So see yas at 7-11 in Higashi Ome at 8:30-9am.
clay

Clay,

as an Eastender I'm interested in this, too. How do you plan on cutting across into Ome from Arakawa: R463 (via Tokorozawa, very busy) and R179?

Hey Fellas,
I've had a look at the map, and I think it'll be easier if I go up the Arakawa and cut across to Higashi Ome (saves me getting on the train to get clear of the traffic.)

Glad you're joining, Sergey! By the way, thanks for the info and photos on Arima-toge. I'll definitely check that out one of these weekends.

We're starting to get a nice little collection of -- in Alan's parlance -- "speedy gentlemen" here. Time to break out the TCC jerseys. Gotta represent.

Thomas and Clay -- good luck trying to meet us via the Arakawa!

Deej

Back
Top Bottom